Apple TV for wireless monitoring? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
You would use a HDMI to DVI connector or cable for LCD displays that only have DVI.
The hd100 doesn't have an HDMI output, that's why I specified Component cable. Trying to run it out to my pc monitor
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I would think the problem with trying to use Apple TV in this context is that it's designed to stream content from a recorded file, not from a live video feed. I can't think of an easy way to get that to work, but how about this then:

- Plug your camera into a laptop running DVRack.
- Link that via a wireless network to another laptop running "pcAnywhere" or other similar virtual desktop software.
- Connect the second laptop to an HDTV and you should (in theory) be able to view the DVRack screen on the HDTV with some reasonable latency.

I'm just brainstorming here so don't hold me to that, but it's worth a try.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Well, the datarate of Firewire is too high to transmit wirelessly
It used to be, but the new AppleTV box along with the new Airport Extreme base station have 802.11n which is 540mbs, a ten fold increase over 802.11g but I still don't think this unit will do what Brian is trying to accomplish.

The new base station will include 'enabler software' which unlocks a little secret Apple has been putting in their computers over the past year... 802.11n chipsets.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I sat through the Apple TV demo at MacWorld today with some of the same questions expressed here. AFAIK this thing is designed to do one thing and that's playback iTunes content and photos over your TV. There are no inputs on this thing and it appeared that the unit either streams from your computer's itunes music/video base over the wireless connection or directly from the harddrive in the unit after it syncs itself with your itunes library (again via the wireless connection). They had some demo units playing out to fairly decent size LCD's (32" I believe) but the picture quality was nothing to write home to mom about.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #20
Regular Crew

check out this wireless HD

I've been working on some cheap wireless HD solutions using the component > VGA adapter rig with some PC>TV wireless transmiters/converters. Of course it would end up being standard NTSC SD. But check out this new HD wireless: http://www.snappymultimedia.com/products_hava_hd.htm
I'm really wondering if this thing could work- obviously it is doing some encoding/decoding but for only $250 bucks it might be worth a try. Anyone used one of these? There are a few appearing on the market. It is kinda big, but cracking the box might prove it could be downsized- also it's set up to run on DC so batteries could be employed. Hmmmmmm...
Keith Gruchala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software