sony monitor choice questions.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 10th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #1
Major Player

sony monitor choice questions..

Heya,

I have checked other threads and this question is specific.

I have been offered a package deal of a used but from the Sony factory and fully service sony monitors.

The models are

Sony PVM-9040ME Color Monitor 9" 250 line 4:3 only(which i would use for field use with a car battery for power)
and
Sony PVM-1454QM, 14" Hi-Resolution Color Monitor for the computer editing.

"Sony PVM 1454QM/14M4EQM
14" monitor with RGB/YUV, Y/C and composite inputs, 4:3/16:9. 525/625 operational. SDI input option available upon request."

My camera is a pd150 pal.

Together the price is $1000 AUD which is approx $600 USD, which i am assuming is quite a good price.

Just a couple questions, has anybody used these monitors?

And is 250 lines really enough for effective field monitoring?

Is it a mistake to buy 2 and i should buy just 1 9" hirez monitor but it will actually cost me $1200 just for the 1 monitor?

Anyways, thanks for you help.

Zac

Ain't birthdays great.
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Anybody?

Sorry but i got to make this decision in the next day or 2, any advice would be helpful?

Zac
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #3
Warden

I don't like the specs of the small field monitor. I would want something higher resolution etc. Is there a chance you can buy the pair and sell the small monitor? Then put the proceeds towards a small 8000 series Sony or something.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Heya Jeff,

The joke with it is, it is $950 for a USED 6" hr sony field monitor here, but the 9" low rez one is $300 used....

If i was to buy 1 6" it would be the only monitor i can afford.
I want the 14" one, i have never seen such a good deal here, but i don't know what to do for the field, it is practially the bottom of the range 9" portable monitor they make.

I guess it is time to think long and hard.

Zac
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #5
Wrangler

250 lines will do fine for a field monitor.
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #6
Warden

It's more like what you get used to. I use a small Sony 8 inch monitor with 450 lines of resolution. I recently was on a job where the client had JVC monitors with only about 250 lines and the picture never looked right to me. I don't think it was broken or out of calibration, it just looked different than the Sony I'm used to looking at. Bottom line, at the end of the day I wished I'd brought my Sony.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Jeff,

I am hoping to get a very good approximation of what i am shooting, something that will help me improve over using the viewfinder and lcd, i am hoping that using the monitor will satisfy my needs.

Unfortunatly i just can't afford a different option at this time.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software