Varizoom VZ-TFT TFT Color Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 12th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #1
Tourist

Varizoom VZ-TFT TFT Color Monitor

Has anyone here had any experience with the Varizoom VZ-TFT TFT 5.6" Color Monitor?

I am confined to a wheelchair (quadriplegic), and unable to get close to the viewfinder of my GL2. When I am inside, the LCD screen is somewhat suitable. However, when outside the brightness makes it impossible to see the 2.5" LCD even with a Hoodman). I am hoping that the 5.6" size of the Varizoom product, along with the sunshade available for it will help resolve this problem.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jeff

I have no experience of these screens, but I'm currently researching a TFT to go with my XL1s.

According to Ken Tanaka, the Nebtek NEB50XL is a better quality monitor, and its greater brightness might be more suitable for you. The Panasonic 7" that Nebtek markets is even brighter (400NIT compared to the 350NIT of the 5.6") if you can go that far.

HTH
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Jeff,
I owned a Varizoom-branded 5.6" LCD for a while (I am not certain it's the same unit as the one you're considering, but it looks close) and was dissapointed with its performance. It was a relatively coarse (low-resolution) display and was quite dim even in indoor conditions. Adjusting the brightness had some very poor consequences on the image.

Brightness of LCD displays is often expressed in NIT's. As a benchmark, Nebtek sells some of the brightest and best LCD displays available. They are, of course, a bit more expensive than other comparably-sized models mainly due to their brightness and resolutions. Nebtek can also adapt their monitors to use Canon BP-series batteries as a power source. (Most LCD's use 12v or a/c.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #4
Major Player

While it might have some downsides (like blocking real vision) unless modified what about something like the Olympus Eye-Trek? Since it is on the eyes it shouldn't be as susceptible to glare problems.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software