"Zima" narrative highlights, shot on 5D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old March 10th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #1
"Zima" narrative highlights, shot on 5D
Oleg Kalyan Oleg Kalyan is offline March 10th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Michail&Nadya Wedding Highlights, "Zima" By Oleg Kalyan On ExposureRoom

Please share your thoughts

Oleg Kalyan
Major Player
Views: 2900
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Major Player

OK, let me give some details into this clip, since it's in Russian, the words are read
by the B&G give the insight into the story.
(wanted to go beyond typical highlights, possibly into a narrative, sort of a "Novel" form)

The theme "Letter to the Future" has been particularly interesting, important to me for a while.
In essence doing a video of a wedding, that means to be viewed in years to come, for the future, by the future generations, possibly children and grandchildren.

Any way, the words go like that: (aproximate translation, it's more beautiful in Russian :)

The Bride.

Why do people write letters?
For the reason that it's easier to express your thoughts, feelings, longings and wishes on the paper, easier than plainly to say it.

And it'll become unimportant what will will happen today and tomorrow.
Beautiful joy or thorough trials, doesn't matter, if is done together from now on.

The Groom.

Yes, so many thoughts I want to share with you, yet I understand that
Words are not enough can not display the depths of how I care.

How incapable are the words to express that what makes our hearts to beat in accord.

I see us in many years to come, when we have so many experiences, our children will grow up, we still be lost in not having enough words to express all that we feel!

Another link, for convenience and in better resolution.
http://o-k.smugmug.com/gallery/75583...061_i75AL-A-LB
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Oleg, I hate watching your work. It makes my stuff look like absolute garbage :-(

Beautiful work as always. I loved the idea of the narration. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Stephen, I really appreciate your encouragment :)

Your work is great, by no means we should compare each other, or anybody else's work in terms of
"who's better", for the reason that we are in event videography, where the B&G are the stars!

So many our colleagues work on a great level!
Sometimes it's more of a documentary style, more often it's a clip with some sort of a set up.

Off course we just complement each other, adding something to the whole picture of event videography,
different ways of presenting things are great!

New creative tools allow us for various artistic expressions, here for example the slider, 5D camera and a ring light,
helped me to present things, off course naration was crucial in the piece.

I have to find an English speaking couple one day, so it'll have more of international appeal!

Cheers!

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; March 10th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

beautifully shot and full of heart - in other words, typical of your work!

you certainly get to test your cameras in cold weather conditions.

always excited to see more,
jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Very nice imagery! Very sharp details! Excellent video!
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Phillip, Chris, thank you!

It was really cold, -20C which is about -4F. The cameras worked well but the battery life is about 30 % ..

Another interesting fact, is that the photo/video session took place at the school where the bride Nadya, studied from the age 7 to 17, and the school was built in 1908.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #8
Major Player

One thing wanted to ask, here in this wedding I deliberately have not used lots of camera moves, it's shot for the most part what is called with "Objective camera".

What do you think, it's not typical, many colleagues, myself in some past work with/use stedicam, glidecams, random camera moves, etc. to create a lot of external movements to create strong subjective impression/storytelling.
Do you think that in some general way wedding video may suffer from lack of dynamic camera moves?

The question is general, may or may not apply to my latest work, would like to hear opinions.

Cheers!
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

As I learn this craft I find myself progressing towards the moving camera to help tell the story and make it more dramatic. I think a mixture of moving and still would be ideal.
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Phillip, thank you!
interesting point, I guess we have to use most of the available camera techniques in wedding video, sometimes possibly to excess, to have a bright and very subjective storytelling style, I think.

In contrast movies stick to pretty much one cinematic language, subjective handheld with various degrees of camera dynamics which express variety of emotional response to the story, and some films in oppisite have passive objective camera, on tripod, slow dolly moves, etc.
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Moscow in Winter

First let me say that the clip was sensational. Reliance on 'steadicam' type moves are rapidly becoming what black and white was a decade ago- an overused effect often masquerading as artistry (we use one too). The DoF prep shots were stunning and meaningful to the narrative. And the snow shots were teriffic. The Hard, flat, light on the vows was probably unavoidable. This was a truly inspiring piece in its simplicity, Oleg.

I'm your newest fan:)

Mike Jensen
Jensen Films
Sacramento, CA
Mike Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Mike,
thank you so much for kind words of support!

Glad to see that the approach I'am leaning towards can be of interest.
I've looked up your work, really enjoyed it! Hope we'll stay in touch.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #13
Trustee

Heart warming. Great job Oleg. I feel that external movement is not that important. The video is to convey a story of the wedding and you have taken a step further to have a message in it. I was touched by it although i do not understand Russian. Now isnt that powerful?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Trustee

Hi Oleg,

That was great. Well shot, nice compositions, great ideas.

The lack of Steadicam was fine with me. I thought you had a nice mix of static and moving camera.

The opening shot is awesome. Lots of other amazing shots as well, like the dogs running, the horse's breath in the cold, the mom blessing the bride, the bride in foreground with the groom out of focus in background.

I guess my only criticism would be that some of it looked too staged. It was better at the end because it was more candid and real. And there was some repetition of shots, I thought.

The cut at the beginning from the pan/tilt down wide shot of the car to the closeup of the car was too jarring for me.

Small criticisms, however, in a great video. Thanks for showing it to us.
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Oleg,

Fantastic work. Really inspiring, as all your work is, which is why I am disappointed that you weren't included in EventDV's most influential list. At least I assume you're not being recognized, as they are announcing them in alphabetical order. Next year for sure...
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery