"Zima" narrative highlights, shot on 5D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old March 10th, 2009, 01:07 AM  
"Zima" narrative highlights, shot on 5D
Oleg Kalyan Oleg Kalyan is offline March 10th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Michail&Nadya Wedding Highlights, "Zima" By Oleg Kalyan On ExposureRoom

Please share your thoughts

Oleg Kalyan
Major Player
Views: 2909
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
which is why I am disappointed that you weren't included in EventDV's most influential list.
Ain't that the truth. If he doesn't produce unique and effective work, I don't know who does.
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Major Player

Vito,
thank you for your feedback, this video, some parts of it was staged, for developing the theme, "A letter to the future", few shots, the bride writing the letter, were done after the wedding,
it's a bit conceptual piece, wanted it to have some narrative structure.
Editing highlights i picked up some more or less "symbolic" shots, there is lots of "live" in long version of the film.

Joel,
thanks a lot.
Couple of thoughts,
The thing with EventDV, I didn't even know about it existence up until two days ago. Top videographers, colleagues are there. Great atmosphere, excellent people, although I realized that it's a bit "I scratch your back, you scratch mine".
It's some kind of closed circuit voting.
Everyone votes for everyone else, mostly someone that you know pretty well, in contact with. I didn't vote for anybody, couldn't even find voting page! So I guess I was not on the ballot! It's a matter of proper networking and promotion within closed resource, which is how it is, no one says it's a public voting.

Colleagues on DVinfo can make it's own voting, poll here, or the list at least.
Yet, my view on that there are so many great videographers around the world, comparing of who is better doesn't make sense, in a way it's like comparing of who is better among the B&G's.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Oleg.....
Did you mix some 24F and 60I ?

The scenes in the big hall where they sat down, look like you threw in some interlaced footage, just to change things up...

I just can't tell you how much joy i get watching something so simple, yet so inspiring..
I too am now a fan of your work..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Peter, thank you!
It was all from the camera 30P , now I check if in encoding I did deinterlacing.
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Oleg,

lovely work!, and just proves you don't need a glidecam, glidetrack, to produce beautiful imagery and storytelling. Let the emotional content and great cameracraft speak for itself.

Pleasure to watch.

John De Rienzo
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #21
Major Player

John, thank you, your words encourage me.
Although I've used a glidetrack there on couple of shots :)
overall imagery has objective look in terms of storytelling from the camera.

I find that way or story telling to be more suitable to convey some deeper meaning.
Interesting Toenis Liivamaegi, called similar approach as something havind "anthropological aspect". Not quite in latest piece, in the one with Church Wedding possibly more so.

Thanks to Toenis, "anthropological" approach as opposed to "glamour", can be an interesting new way to shoot a Wedding video.

I also think that too much camera movement, glidecam, stedicam, etc. can be highly subjective,
pulling all the attention to the personality of the narrator(videographer), the beauty of surroundings at cost of less attention to actual couple and the events.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
...off course naration was crucial in the piece.

I have to find an English speaking couple one day, so it'll have more of international appeal!
Oleg I have noticed that you highly regard narration however don't worry so much your visuals are so powerful that they speak out volumes. When I watch your work even though I have no idea what's being said it's still very touching, my imagination filling in the blanks left by the words. There is culture attached to language, this makes your work so authentic. You already have international appeal, people will learn Russian to fully understand you work ;)

Would like to know more about you, how long you have been filming some background information, maybe someone has done an interview with you already?
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #23
Major Player

""Can I ask you a couple of questions?
How many cameras do you use at a wedding?
What cameras do you use?
What was that beautiful music? It worked so well with the clip and brought a tear of joy to my eye. A rare thing.""

Steve, thank you for sharing emotions!

in Church wedding I shot by myself, camera Canon 5D mark2, lenses 50mm Nikkor F1.2 and Canon 70 200 IS F2.8, hand held and on tripod.
The music is by Yoko Kanno and Xerxes.
Hope that helps

Nicholas, appreciate your words!

""Would like to know more about you, how long you have been filming some background information, maybe someone has done an interview with you already?""

I've been filming for about 8 years total, prior to that I had extensive photography background, studied in the US for a few years, worked as commercial and fashion photographer, then studied film, worked on a feature, had a short film on International Film Festival, for the last 4 or 5 years work in Moscow,
shoot and edit weddings, promos, rarely commercials, also edit promos, trailers for feature films produced in Russia.
I've mentioned recent feature
http://www.weddingbeepro.com/2009/03...yan/#more-8726
thanks to William Gaff @ Human Story Films for finding me and writing it.
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Stephen, I really appreciate your encouragment :)

I have to find an English speaking couple one day, so it'll have more of international appeal!

Cheers!
Oleg it does not matter what language is spoken, people can see what the story is all about by just watching your visuals.

It reminded me of a professor in College, we switched the soundtrack of a pepsi & coca cola tvc, you can still say it was a pepsi tvc despite a coke soundtrack & vice versa. It showed how great visuals sometimes negates sound tracks.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:18 AM   #25
Major Player

Noel, thank you for compliment!
I'd prefer freshly squeezed organic orange juice, to both pepsi, and coke :)
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery