Last Weekend's Trailer for Critique at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old April 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Last Weekend's Trailer for Critique
Aaron J. Yates Aaron J. Yates is offline April 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Greetings all,

Last weekend was our first big wedding of the year where we pulled out all the stops. Over the off-season, we got a Merlin with arm and vest, and this reception was the first time I've used it officially. So some of those shots are a little shaky. We also used our new Kessler 12' crane for some of the outdoor shots. Reception was pretty dark and we couldn't use any lights at all, so some of the footage there is a bit grainy or dark. The song was chosen by the couple.

I haven't released this to them yet, just getting feedback. So the video is password protected. Please be kind! This is my first submittal of a wedding vid for critique.

This is a password protected video on Vimeo

password: txpsv

Aaron J. Yates
Regular Crew
Views: 1170
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Aaron,

I thought it was put together to make a very classy video. I'm sure the B&G will be pleased. I thought the audio during the vows could have been a bit better.
The reception looked good to me lighting wise. I didn't notice much grain at all. I really liked the shot of the B&G leaving with the rose pedals being thrown in their way. Looked really cool... Did they set that up?
Just out of curiosity, was that shot in 24P? I noticed so more then usual motion blur when some of the clips were slowed down.

Also, props on the video about Greystone... I noticed the Coast Guard in the thumbnail, and since thats my real job I was inclined to watch....

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

G'day Aaron,

Thanks for sharing and kudos for putting some work up for critique. It takes cajones! You've got some nice footage in there.

Seeing as how you've asked for 'kind' feedback :) I'll just mention a couple of things that caught my eye...

First thing is I think it could be a much better piece by cutting the length down - I'd cut it by half at least to maintain interest - especially for a trailer.

The audio's not clear at all so I'd say better off leaving it out - particularly during the reception the photog's flash is louder & clearer than the female speakers voice and I couldn't hear what she was saying.

There's far too many dissolves too IMO.

Hope that helps! Having said the above, I'm sure the couple will absolutely love it.

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Stephen,

Thanks for the comments. I have not been able to figure out why I get so much motion blur. Everything was shot in 60i but then when you export to Vimeo, they suggest you use a framerate of 25 fps. So that might have something to do with it.

Matt,

I understand what you mean about the length. However, our clients want a full song for their trailer, and they want to see the main story of the day. There were a lot more clips I wanted to use but just didn't have room. The audio was a disaster for us that day. We had lav mics that suddenly picked up tons of interference when the ceremony started. Therefore, muddy sound in the ceremony. We don't mic the speakers at the reception, and the girl was just as hard to understand in person. She was very timid and barely spoke into the mic. That particular clip is boosted by 20 db just to get what we got. As for the dissolves, that's something I didn't even notice until you mentioned it! Thanks!

And thanks to both of you for the constructive criticism. This is a great forum for picking apart each others' projects! Ha ha. But seriously, it helps to have peole that will actually point out "flaws" instead of just saying how great it is. Much appreciated.
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Trustee

Well made,
just couple things I'd change, maybe three
make it shorter, you need wireless and on camera light, or better yet on camera AND 2x500 lowell in the hall, but that's all technicalities, other than that nice piece.
let's see if I have cajones to show my last weekend's work :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery