Finally first 5D2 wedding..Trailer Clip! booo to 30p though at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Finally first 5D2 wedding..Trailer Clip! booo to 30p though
Craig Turner Craig Turner is offline October 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM

The Australian wedding season is just getting underway and finally got to shot our first one on the 5D.

Clip:

Pretty much jumped into the deep end shooting the majority of the wedding on it.
It's a fantastic Camera and so much tidier than using a 35mm DOF adapter. (in some ways)
Biggest problem now is editing it with PAL HDV footage. The up-converted 25fps HDV material to 30p is just not working. You can get an "ok" result when it is slowmo-ed but otherwise it just looks too jittery and is not mixing with the other camera in a satisfactory way.

The only practical option I can see at this point is to sell the 5D2 and get a 7D.
It sucks though as I based all our original lens decisions on a full frame body. With a 7D's 1.6 crop factor it's kind of messed everything up. I love going really wide on the 5D2 and really enjoyed it as a stills camera.

I have been thinking about this way too much today. I think my brain is bleeding.

Craig Turner
New Boot
Views: 2007
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Excellent work! Unlike most in this game you really know how to compose the frame.
Whilst l can't advise you on how to improve the 5D MkII 30p problems, l can say this. If your clients don't mind the look of 30p, you should not worry about it. If l were you though l'd flog the 5D and its lenses to a pro photographer whilst they are still popular and current and get yourself a schmick 7D or GH1 kit.
Chris Moisidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #3
New Boot

Hey cheers chris.

hmm it looks like we might need to get a 7D. The jitter is pretty bad in 25i projects. Have spent hours experimenting and it doesn't look like it is going to happen unfortunately.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Craig. Have you tried to change the speed of the footage by using a combination of After Effects and Twixtor? I know that people use it for issues like this, although I haven't tried it yet for this particular work (don't have yet a MKII). Twixtor is slow, but unless you have huge amounts of footage that demand too much rendering time, it may save you.

Oh, and BTW, very impressive work!
Dimitris Mantalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The video looked really nice, but I have to admit that I couldn't stop thinking about House.

Last edited by Jordan Nash; October 20th, 2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: errr... House not Bones.
Jordan Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Craig, nice work.

I recently did a project where it was a combination of Z1 HD-V footage & 5D Mark II footage (converted to the Edius HQ format but kept it in it's original NTSC standard).

I set the project to 1920x1080 PAL for final output on PAL Blu-ray.

However up until the time of export I edited on a cheap 4:3 TV. To get output in Edius I set the project to 720x576 PAL 16:9.

It worked well. There are 25p limitations (crappy slow-motion), but generally I didn't see a problem with it.
Phivo Christodoulou is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery