Frederick Turns 1 - Birthday Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Frederick Turns 1 - Birthday Trailer
Johannes Soetandi Johannes Soetandi is offline May 17th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Hey guys, this is my second attempt at birthday trailer. I gotta admit I'm enjoying birthday film! It's fun, kids are cute, hardly any pressure and most importantly good foods lol..

This is quite a special video for me as there's a background to how this child was born (read the story in the vimeo link). Something that really reminds me what a precious gift a child is for every parents. Oh.. btw, I haven't got one yet I'm still single :P

Had a challenge during the filming as there are lots of trees shades. I had to constantly adjust my aperture because subjects goes in and out of shades. Especially during the cake scene.. the cake was fully exposed to sun while the families are under the shades.

Anyone got recommendation on how to tackle this?

Tools used:
- indiSlider mini
- Canon 7D
- Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC
- Canon 70-200 f4L non IS
- Monopod & Tripod

Johannes Soetandi
Major Player
Views: 1604
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Very nice. I am attempting my first B-Day event in a few weeks. You mentioned this as a "trailer" was this the final product? Did you have a longer cut that you gave the clients? If so, how long was it?
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Alden.

Yeah I gave them two videos in my DVD, this trailer and an extended version. Basically the extended version is compilation of all the clips I took during the day and edit it onto a song or two. It includes all the cake cutting, speech/performances/games (if any). It runs for about 10 minutes but it depends on how variative things are happening during the day. Otherwise it's a pretty standard 'kids-playing' video running for 10 minutes. :)

It may also be a good idea taking congratulations message from few people in the party and include it in the DVD.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Love the balloon shots at the beginning! Thanks for sharing this. How have you gotten jobs as a party videographer? I'd also like to advertise for event videography but not sure where.....

Keaton Clark
Philadelphia
Keaton Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Keaton. To be honest, I've only done 2 birthday party video so far... both with me volunteering and only getting love gifts from the parents. With those two birthday videos, I began promoting the work to my circle of friends... But, even I'm only charging $150..... yet there seems to be no interest so far :(

Not sure how it is in US, but in Australia, birthday video is definitely not common.. they'd prefer holding their own handycam for sure

I'm not the best in advertising.. but you have several options like facebook, craiglist, local community newspaper, wedding directory etc.. but best so far is word of mouth. Make a client happy and you'd get a priceless advertising for free
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Major Player

johannes, regarding the shade vs sun lid cake, there is no cure for it. you have to choose between properly exposed image with dark family or blown out white cake with nice family.

The best way to tackle this is to prevent it from happening. You have to analyze the situation and start "repositioning" the cake in a "ninja" kind of way.

If somehow you still end up in that situation, I would probably choose to expose the family and not taking the cake too much in the shot and then try to get a close up of the cake properly lid while they are cutting. there should be a good 5-10 seconds of them cutting and you can quickly change exposure and get the closeup. cut this together in post, voila! you're saved!

my two bucks..
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Santo. I didn't realize the problem until we all gathered around the cake. Lucky I did the right thing which was to shoot the family (with the camera I mean), I had enough cake footages in the beginning anyway so its not like I'm missing the cake :)

Now that I know this is an issue, I guess next time I can direct the parents to put the cake more strategically...... in my stomach.. hehehe.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery