Female videographer-need stabilizer advice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Wrangler

i don't know what editing system you are using, but this new smoothcam filter in FCP 6 rocks! i applied it to some stuff i shot walking with a monopod adding weight to the bottom of my camera, and it looks fantastic. i've not had good luck learning stabilizing systems for the reasons you mentioned--they are designed primarily with the strength and levering of men in mind, even though they're always pictured with women demo'ing them....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
i've not had good luck learning stabilizing systems for the reasons you mentioned--they are designed primarily with the strength and levering of men in mind, even though they're always pictured with women demo'ing them....
I've heard some good arguments over the years that the load-bearing (read: child-carrying) pelvic and hip structure of the female gender is actually well-suited for the demands of stabilizers. I know a number of women operators who work with the heaviest cameras out there (rigs up to 80 lbs). Wouldn't want to suggest that the rigs are "designed" for men--that's a delicate statement! One good argument however is that the front-mounted vests can be a bit constricting in the, uh, "chestal" region, but fortunately there are a number of rigs with back-mounted vests out there now.
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM   #18
Wrangler

not trying to open a can of worms here...i'm sure it's just a combination of my impatience, lack of persistence, or lack of ability in this particular area. i'm actually quite glad to hear there are competent female stabilizer ops out there--i've sure never seen any of them in the "making of" featurettes, however. not a one.
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I use a glidecam 4000 for my HVX200 as well as a pag orbiter for those long handheld moments. A stabilizer like the glidecam is great, but they a booger to hold for any extended length of time. It gets really heavy
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
--i've sure never seen any of them in the "making of" featurettes, however. not a one.
Meryem, I'm not entirely certain, but I think I remember seeing a female Steadicam operator in one of the Titanic behind the scenes featurettes. If I can find it I'll give more specifics later.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM   #21
Wrangler

Steadicam op on "Titanic" was Jimmy Muro.

Might try "Eyes Wide Shut" or "One Hour Photo" as Liz Zeigler operated those--or try an IMDB search under her name to see what else she did and might have appeared in featurettes.
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM   #22
Wrangler

cool, thanks for the lead. i'll check it out.
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #23
New Boot

Steddiepod

Hi Bobbie,
Barber Technologies has a product that we bought at WEVA Expo several years ago to use with my PD150. It is called the Steddiepod. It has three "feet" that are flat so you can rest the camera when not using it. You can lift it easily to get beautiful overhead shots. I often balance the camera with the feet on my waist for amazing shots. It is very adjustable and easy to use. Unfortunately, when my husband Al started using the PD170, he borrowed it and never gave it back! He loves it too! I checked on line and they will be back at WEVA Expo next week so I plan to get revenge and get the latest one for myself! Unfortunately the price has gone up $150 since we first bought it. Hope this helps. Here is the link http://www.barbertvp.com/products/index.html
Regards,
Kathy Ritondo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques