The Promo we shot for Canon - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edgar View Post
Excellent work Patrick, your use of the flyer is exemplary.
You kiddng John? His flyer work totally kicks a$$!!!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM   #17
Trustee

Very nice!! Great shots and good editing. Only thing was that after watching it the first time without sound, I thought it was a promo for Steadicam Flyer.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Wow! Great stuff Patrick. Just wondering how much grading you do on your video? What software do you use?
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Patrick:
Can I come over to your house and play? :) Inspirational work!

Thanks,
John
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I am always inspired by the work of the Still Motion crew. Inspiring indeed.

So, it looks as though Canon has made big improvements in the lux department. I've had an XL1 for years and I can't stand it in low light. It looks like the Canon HD cameras are doing well in low light.

-Don B.
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bazley View Post
I am always inspired by the work of the Still Motion crew. Inspiring indeed.

So, it looks as though Canon has made big improvements in the lux department. I've had an XL1 for years and I can't stand it in low light. It looks like the Canon HD cameras are doing well in low light.

-Don B.
I believe they improved it with the XL2. :)
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Patrick,

the work is superb.

For the "same day video", what NLE are you using?

Feeling inspired,

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #23
Still Motion

Sorry for the delayed reply guys- we are currently shooting a wedding in the Dominican. I should have a pretty wild trailer up for the wedding down here later today/early tomorrow.

Dennis,

I do a lot of grading to every shot. Maybe 1/3 of the shots receive color/exposure correction, then I throw on 3-4 other filters to customize the look. These days, every shot in an SDE or highlights is thoroughly graded. I'm using FCP and a combination of the built in filters.

Don,

Canon has definitely brought up the low light. Being that these cams can do 24F/24P, you an even shutter down to 1/24 and get some great really low light footage depending on the context. Being out of thecountry, we had to pack very little gear, so it was awesome to shoot the speeches at 1/24 and be able to work with minimal lighting. It is quite an improvement over the XL2 in my opinion.

Mark,

The NLE we use for everything is FCP- the latest version. I edit on either a macbook pro or a 24" imac.

Thanks for all the comments.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shepherd View Post
I believe they improved it with the XL2. :)
They actually improved it with the XL-1s. It had a sensitivity increase of 4db over the original XL-1.

With the XL-2 came improved noise handling via DSP advances.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
They actually improved it with the XL-1s. It had a sensitivity increase of 4db over the original XL-1.

With the XL-2 came improved noise handling via DSP advances.

-gb-
Details, details. :)

I was just saying the XL1 from 1997 has been improved upon a while back I guess. :)
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I liked the wedding footage. How many hours can you use that steady cam before exhaustion?

The interviews were a little off though. Looking too far off camera. And some of the dialog seemed a bit canned.

PS you guys look like a secret agent squad with those black get ups. "Patrick's Angels." Or "The Patrick Ultimatum". 00-Pat.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I liked the wedding footage. How many hours can you use that steady cam before exhaustion?

The interviews were a little off though. Looking too far off camera. And some of the dialog seemed a bit canned.

PS you guys look like a secret agent squad with those black get ups. "Patrick's Angels." Or "The Patrick Ultimatum". 00-Pat.
With the flyer, I guess can easily clock up to 10hours, if you are well used to it. You do not wear that thing every single minutes do you? Have a break in between.
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #28
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post

I use the steadicam all day if need to, and I've had 3 weddings in a weekend this year, all of which I wore it for at least part. It is easier for me to use than the glidecam, although you do get more sweat with it.

I believe the interview section has already been discussed, so I won't go back over that. All the dialog we actually came up with as we spoke, so it was the furthest thing from being canned. Yor probably the only person to actually tell us that too. Oh well, you can't please everybody. I think it worked very well for what it was meant for.
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #29
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Shem View Post
You do not wear that thing every single minutes do you? Have a break in between.
No, I would rarely wear it for an entire shoot. Usually most of the preps, the photo-session, and a good portion of the reception, with a couple minutes of ceremony thrown in for the highlights.
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #30
Inner Circle

what brand of steady cam is that? is it a DIY?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques