The Promo we shot for Canon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 1st, 2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Still Motion

The Promo we shot for Canon

More details on our blog but basically, we shoot Canon for photo and video and they wanted us to shoot us shooting a wedding. We produced a little promo piece and traveled across Canada showing the promo and speaking at the Expo.

Boy was it tough interviewing myself with mulitple cams, lighting, audio etc. In the video, I'm the one with the Steadicam. Amina is shooting the photos. Rob is the male photographer. Michael appears in the printer bar segment. Tony is shooting the rings and has a shot of him before the ceremony.

Thought some of you might like to check it out:

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=189

Patrick
www.still-motion.ca
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow Patrick! That's quite an honor!
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Kudos to you my friend!!!
This is an incredible promo piece which im sure Canon are more than happy with. Showing a good insight into a variety of options and as Amina says, staying ahead of the game.

Head off to http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php and drop this down to the wedding forum for some more phtoographic feedback dude.

once again, youve outdone yourselves. Next time ur down in Aus, drop me a note and we'll go for a coffee ;)

Cheers
P
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Absolutely amazing, and inspiring...ur quite easily the world's best team at this stuff

well done on getting Canon under your belt, does that mean loads of free canon stuff? are you sponsored by them now?

also, do u care to share your age with us, u look alot younger than i expected

keep up the great work.....update on myself: i have an amazing new girlfriend, moved in to her house with her last weekend, proprosal next year hopefully...so can i book u for 2010? :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Very nice, Patrick!

How many people do you have on your team? And how many cameras do you bring out to an event? The Steadicam stuff looked great.

The only thing I noticed that 'felt' weird, was your interview clip, where you're on the far left of the screen, looking to the left. Why not look to the right there, into the open space? :)

Again, nice work!
Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:34 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shepherd View Post
The only thing I noticed that 'felt' weird, was your interview clip, where you're on the far left of the screen, looking to the left. Why not look to the right there, into the open space? :)
Yeah Eric, that stood out as jarring to me as well. Otherwise, good stuff and a great idea to offer the printer bar.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Yeah the printer idea is great. I was unclear as to whether the cameras were provided, or anyone could print from any camera?

It's like offering disposable cameras to everyone at a wedding and then rounding them up at the end and developing them. Except accelerated about 1,000x, with better pictures and instant gratification. Such a cool idea.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
anyone could print from any camera?
I believe that's what Patrick stated in his dialog. They set it up and let people print pictures from 'their' digital cameras during the reception.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Right, that's what it sounded like. I guess I was overthinking this. If they're using memory cards, they just put those in the printer.

I was thinking a bunch of USB adapters/cables for everything that's out there, PictBridge and everything else support, etc. Nevermind. ;)
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM   #10
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
Absolutely amazing, and inspiring...ur quite easily the world's best team at this stuff

well done on getting Canon under your belt, does that mean loads of free canon stuff? are you sponsored by them now?

also, do u care to share your age with us, u look alot younger than i expected

keep up the great work.....update on myself: i have an amazing new girlfriend, moved in to her house with her last weekend, proprosal next year hopefully...so can i book u for 2010? :)
Thanks again Richard. It is more of a partnership with Canon vs a sponsorship. We can beta test some things, borrow gear, and we also get some other perks like being able to put the Canon logo on our site.

Most of the team is mid-wenties with some of us slightly older and some slightly younger.

Now why are you talking 2010- if you are thinking of a proposal next year, late '09 would work, no? Congrats.

Patrick
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:59 AM   #11
Still Motion

Quote:
How many people do you have on your team? And how many cameras do you bring out to an event? The Steadicam stuff looked great.

Eric,

We have three photographers and three videographers on our team. A large package with a same-day edit would have 3 video and 2 photo at the wedding. Most packages would have about 6-7 cameras there, but that is so that they are all ready for different things (35mm adapter, merlin, steadicam). Ceremonies are anywhere from 3-5 cams.

About the interviews, I totally agree. They wanted me to be in the interview, and that portion happened rather late in the storyboarding so I didn't have time to get somebody else to shoot it for me. There was an idea that would fill up the empty space, but that never materialized. Looking at it as soon as it was done, we totally should have moved the cutaway cam to the other side, and had me looking into the frame. As-is, looking in the opposite direction would have had me stairing straight at the tight cam and not looking at the interviewer (who was sitting on the left). The size of the room and time constraints made it very tight to make changes though. More than having me look out of the frame with all of the empty space, I think my posture really hurt that section too. Especially considering that Amina really did a great job with speaking.

Patrick
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Still Motion

Quote:
Yeah the printer idea is great. I was unclear as to whether the cameras were provided, or anyone could print from any camera?

It's like offering disposable cameras to everyone at a wedding and then rounding them up at the end and developing them. Except accelerated about 1,000x, with better pictures and instant gratification. Such a cool idea.
Canon tossed the idea to us with a digital camera on each table as well, but there were concerns over all the cameras still being there at the end of the night. Right now, we just rent the 5 printers, we operate the station, we refill the printers and supply all the paper/ink we need. The printers take cartridges that have both the paper and ink in them so it is a very easy setup. Guests then use their digital cameras and can make free prints. The printers also have a retractable USB cable on the side so you can plug your camera in if it doesn't accept the memory cards your using.

The excitement level matches that of an SDE with the right crowd. Obviously the meotion is much lower with the printer bar, but people really really love it.

Patrick
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:15 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Eric,

We have three photographers and three videographers on our team. A large package with a same-day edit would have 3 video and 2 photo at the wedding. Most packages would have about 6-7 cameras there, but that is so that they are all ready for different things (35mm adapter, merlin, steadicam). Ceremonies are anywhere from 3-5 cams.

About the interviews, I totally agree. They wanted me to be in the interview, and that portion happened rather late in the storyboarding so I didn't have time to get somebody else to shoot it for me. There was an idea that would fill up the empty space, but that never materialized. Looking at it as soon as it was done, we totally should have moved the cutaway cam to the other side, and had me looking into the frame. As-is, looking in the opposite direction would have had me stairing straight at the tight cam and not looking at the interviewer (who was sitting on the left). The size of the room and time constraints made it very tight to make changes though. More than having me look out of the frame with all of the empty space, I think y posture really hurt that section too. Especially considering that Amina really did a great job with speaking.

Patrick
It looks like your team is really familiar with one another, so you're able to capture stuff without too much overlap. I did enjoy seeing the Steadicam op running around at 30mph during the dance. He's quick! :)

Perhaps a luma key/horizontal flip would be a quick solution to that. Though someone might catch that the buttons run down the wrong side of the shirt, and assume you're wearing a woman's shirt. But otherwise, I think it would help :) Or luma key it and just move you to Amina's position. She seems like a hard act to follow anyway. ;)

Even some of the printer bar shots were great. They looked like they were from a commercial, really. The one with the lady squatting down smiling at printer level was priceless. Really nice work there.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi Patrick,

Congratulations!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:11 PM   #15
New Boot

Excellent work Patrick, your use of the flyer is exemplary.
John Edgar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques