Vegas Pro 8 anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 18th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas Pro 8 anyone?

I just got a message that I have 2 weeks to save money when upgrading to Vegas Pro 8. Has anyone here upgraded? The benefit I see most for it is the multicamera workflow feature. Any insight would be great. I am currently running 7 now. Thanks!

Dawn

Edit: Just peaked on the "what stays in Vegas" forum and its not getting the best reviews. Most are recommending staying with 7 until they work out the "bugs". Thoughts as it applies to weddings and your use?
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Download a trial and see what you think. I upgraded at the end of my last project (not wanting any surprises) and haven't used it much yet.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...p1.asp?catid=1
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

I'm not seeing most of the "bugs" that people are complaining about it. There's definitely some nice new features. I, personally, think it's well worth the upgrade.

Here's another thought. You can upgrade now for $150 or upgrade later for $250. You might as well upgrade now and save the extra money. Plus, it will live beside your other version(s) so you can use any of them you wish. Just because you install Vegas 8 doesn't mean you can't still use Vegas 7.

Take a look at my Vol 5 #1 of my newsletters to get a good look at what was added in the new version.

There's also some neat new scripting abilities added in Vegas Pro 8. Take a look in the "Custom Command" section at the same URL as the newsletters.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Is it worth it? Well that's up to you to decide. If HDV is your base line of work then yes. If HD delivery is something you need, then yes, if MPG smart rendering is what you need, then yes. There's no right or wrong, it's just a matter of what you need... and whether or not this tool will fulfill that need.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I loaded Vegas 8 last month, and have been running fine with it. I am also not seeing any of the claimed bugs....

As indicated, get it, load it, and then run 7 if you are worried about it, until the first update comes out.
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #6
Trustee

I have it and though I haven't used it much, haven't seen any bugs. I like the multicam feature.

Also...I have sold my v7 for around the cost of the upgrade so it has cost me nothing. Sony will transfer the licence when a version is sold on, though the new owner does not get the right to upgrade.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The first update (8a) is out. Licensed users can get it. Not sure when the trial copy gets updated, tho. DVDA also has an update.
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques