Our last SDE of the year at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 25th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Still Motion

Our last SDE of the year

It is usually a great feeling to wrap up a season and have some time to rest and catch up on the backlog. Shooting our last SDE yesterday was actually a little dissapointing though as these are so much fun to challenge yourself to push each one further as well as being a part of something so powerful being shown.

Michael and I were determined to make the most out of our last SDE and I think it came out pretty well.

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=276

Any comments/critique are always appreciated.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Patrick:
I didn't see a dissapointing thing in this, especially for a SDE, but I know as an artist you always find something. Very well done. The flying shots fit the music quite well. I loved the creative shot with the baseballs and the rings.
John
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

May I know what lens did u use on the Steadicam? It looks v wide, a fish eye lens?
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Trustee

Patrick,
Very nice. was everything with camera motion done with the steadtcam?
Bruce Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Trustee

patrick,
I forgot to ask...How many shooters at the ceremony?
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Still Motion

Thanks guys.

I used a raynox fisheye on the A1 for those really wide shots. Michael shot a lot of the moving footage (groom and photosession) with a merlin. Everything else was glidecam actually- the steadicam stayed at home that day since I was shooting and editing and I wanted to use the 35 adapter too.

2 videographers at the ceremony, 1 photographer.

Patrick
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Trustee

patrick,
Is the "Merlin" a sled only rig, or does it also use a vest and arm?
You say "the steadicam stayed at home that day since I was shooting and editing and I wanted to use the 35 adapter too". Could you explain why one rig is easier or more flexible than another, and how it figure into that application?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Still Motion

Bruce,

I would prefer not to sidetrack the thread and make it purely about stabilizers. Your welcome to contact me directly or start another thread and I will be happy to respond, but once these things get sidetracked, they don't come back.

Thanks

Patrick
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

That was amazing.

How long did that take you to edit on the day? There is so much detail involved in it.

I reckon after seeing that you would have had everyone in the room speechless. Well done!!!!
Matt Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Good job. However I notice at around time 3:17 during the ceremony, the groom's head was cut and had no room on top.
The opening shot of the gown is great. Good use of brevis and filters.
You've mentioned this is a SDE, how come there are shots of the dinner reception? Isn't this SDE supposed to be played during the reception?
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #11
Still Motion

Matt, I hade about 2.5 hours of straight editing to do, then I got another 30-40 scattered minutes here and there. There is a ton of etail involved, especially when you start doing extensive color work on all your shots and trying to get some voice overs in there.

Everyone was quite shocked when they saw it. We opened with a love story which really just added to the impct.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #12
Still Motion

Hi Kenny,

I noticed the framing too and mentioned it to Michael. I think he just held the shot, even though it was abit off, since I was moving the second cam and our only other angle was way too far away to cut to during the vows.

I really enjoy all the ring shots in this piece myself. The opening shots with the rings on the dress really only came to life after the color correction. I almost cut the shot as it was so flat otherwise.

This is an SDE, and we did show it at the reception. Couples around here often do their introduction to the reception and then go straight into their first dance. I then imported 2 min from each cam, threw it into the spaces I left in the timeline, did color work and exported everything to show. It was rather rushed, and I don't always put reception clips into an SDE as I don't think it adds as much since the guests saw all those events just recently but it worked here I think.

Patrick
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Patrick,

just as I guessed! In my mind the only way to include the reception shot is to plan in advance and leave an empty space in the timeline. The single biggest consideration is the rendering time. How long does it takes you to render this clip on the spot during the dinner, considering all the color correction and filters thrown in. It could take ages you know. Did you have another clip ready (without reception shot) in case you failed to render on time.

Luckily you didn't throw away the opening shot. To me, that is the best shot throughout the whole SDE. It gave me this surreal feel.

Kenny
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #14
Still Motion

Kenny,

I'm glad I kept that ring shot in too and gave it chance with the color work.

I didn't have abackup ready, but I know my machine pretty well, so I was comfortable with timing. Rendering took about 12-15 minutes for the 4 minutes clip. Making a DVD files took another 4 min.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques