Tell me about iriver at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Tell me about iriver

Okay, in reading through the threads in the section, I keep hearing references to iriver. Tell me, what is the iriver of which you all speak?

Actually, I Googled it, so I see that it is some sort of mp3 player, and I assume, recorder that some of you use to capture audio at live events. What I can't figure out on my own is:

1. What iriver product(s) do you use and why?

2. Do they have built in microphones, or do you plug a mic or other sound source into them?

3. Are there other brands of this sort of device besides iriver that someone uses, and why?

Please, I am intrigued and possibly interested in having one/some of these, myself.

TIA,

Vence
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

unfortunately the referred iRiver is not in production anymore.
it was the serie IFP-7xx and IFP-8xx (the xx designed the memory size, 99 being the biggest with 1 gig).
these little marvell were powered for more than 40 hours with a regular AAA cell and got an internal mic as well as a minijack to plug either a line source or an external mic. They were able to record mp3 at high bandwith/quality (320K) and all of this in a lipstick form factor.
You can still find them on ebay or some refurbished at iriver for about 50$ (original price was more than 200$).
since this serie, the mp3 player has not really evolved (harddisk are too fragile, embedded battery require an usb port to recharge and often offered shorter time, mic/line input has been removed most of time or recording at high quality is not possible)
I got 3 IFP-799 (2 for recording, one for listening music) and i am very happy with.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vence Vida View Post

2. Do they have built in microphones, or do you plug a mic or other sound source into them?

3. Are there other brands of this sort of device besides iriver that someone uses, and why?

Please, I am intrigued and possibly interested in having one/some of these, myself.

TIA,

Vence
Two words: Micro Memo
http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earph...cromemo_video/

I've used this for two events now and have been amazed at the quality! I did a wedding last weekend in a large church and there was no audio system in the church. I had my 80 GB iPod connected to the lavalier mic that is optional, the groom put in his jacket pocket, and zero interfance like I've read so much with wireless mics on these forums. It records in 16 bit audio and 44.1 kHz and saves as a .wav file. I drop it into my Final Cut Pro timeline along with the video track and there are no out of sync issues of any kind. The lavalier mic is omnidirectional and picks up the bride speaking almost as if she was wearing the mic. Without it, at this last wedding, I wouldn't have got the vows recorded on my video. No static, rustling or anything else is noticed.

It also accepts line-in so you could connect more expensive mics into it, but for weddings, the lavalier they sell as an option does a great job. I get over 5 hours of recording time on my fully charged iPod.

Total cost is ~$100 for the recorder and mic, + the cost of an iPod video, but they make one for the Nano as well.

I'm waiting for the moderators of DVInfo to return from NAB to turn on posting for my account, and I'd be happy to upload a small sample, audio and video in a .zip file.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I use an iRiver 790 for quite a bit of recording but mostly for capturing audio during band performances.

The 790 has a built in mic but I don't typically use it. I use the "line in" mode. To capture band audio, I run from the left and right out of the mixer (1/4" plugs), using a splitter cable. Then using adapters, I take the 1/4" down to 1/8" to plug into the line in on the the iRiver. After recording I use USB to transfer it to my computer.

The 790, of course, has a mini plug headphone jack too.

I'm quite satified with the 790. The audio quality is very good. You can spend a lot more to get good audio but the 790 is more than adequate IMO and a great little tool to have. It's a little hard to figure out at first but once you get the hang of it, you'll really appreciate its quality.

I got a reconditioned one from buy (dot) com for about $30.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Harrington View Post
Total cost is ~$100 for the recorder and mic, + the cost of an iPod video, but they make one for the Nano as well.
There lies the rub. You need an iPod itself so the price just doubled or tripled plus you still have all the limitations of the proprietary iPod.

There is talk that this is the next iRiver replacement for wedding videographers:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/ne..._h2_review.htm

Of course it's specs indicate it will be better than any iRiver could ever hope to be and at $200 it's a "doable" replacement.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Okay, in reading through the threads in the section, I keep hearing references to iriver. Tell me, what is the iriver of which you all speak?

Actually, I Googled it, so I see that it is some sort of mp3 player, and I assume, recorder that some of you use to capture audio at live events. What I can't figure out on my own is:

1. What iriver product(s) do you use and why?

TIA,

Vence
Hi Vence,

Iriver's was maybe the best choice out there for various reasons. For me Size and quality. I have the Ifp999 1Gb it cost around $300.00 at the time. I purchased it like 2 years ago. Now the Irivers are not the same no Line/Mic inputs. All you can find are used or refurbished units.
But there is a new kid in town. I preordered 2 Zoom H2, which hopefully will be using instead of MD. They should be out by May and so far looks like a perfect solution, and can be used with the integrated 3 side mics, take a look at the attachment. More info here:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1916&brandID=4
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me about iriver-h2_top-web.jpg  
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Zoom H2-sweet!

Thanks for the info. Now I understand why I couldn't find the product that fit what you all were describing - it no longer exists! I may try to find a used/refub unit, but I may just spring for the Zoom H2. That looks very cool. I am quite impressed by it's versatility and specs. What a great little device!

Grant, I also like the idea of the ipod attachment. Rick, it's true that you have to purchase an ipod, but I happen to already own one, so it's not a bad option. My partner also owns an ipod, so for only $120 we could have TWO recording devices, instead of just one for $200 (the Zoom). I realize the Zoom is a better quality and more versatile device than the Micro Memo, but for the price, it's tempting.

-Vence
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:

Grant, I also like the idea of the ipod attachment. Rick, it's true that you have to purchase an ipod, but I happen to already own one, so it's not a bad option. My partner also owns an ipod, so for only $120 we could have TWO recording devices, instead of just one for $200 (the Zoom). I realize the Zoom is a better quality and more versatile device than the Micro Memo, but for the price, it's tempting.

-Vence
How else can you get an 80 GB Video iPod and write it off as a business expense? Best of both worlds. I actually use my iPod as a portable sales tool too, I convert my wedding montages to iPod video format and can show people the quality of work they can get in wedding coverage. The Micro Memo has a built in speaker so no need to give clients headphones to wear.

Never the less, as pointed out, it is an additional cost if you don't have one already, but I already had the iPod and stumbled across the MicroMemo when visiting an Apple store on a business trip.

Looking at the Zoom seems promising too. One nice thing about the iPod setup is that I can lock the iPod so there is no chance of bumping the record button when in a jacket pocket with lavalier. Does anyone know if there is a lock feature on the Zoom?

That looks promising too.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

iRiver

You can get an iRiver here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

Jim
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM   #10
Major Player

I just picked up two used iRiver IFP390T for my kids. getting mp3's etc onto them using the proprietary software works fine, but apparently it will not allow mp3's to be uploaded from the unit to the PC.

so for those of you using these units for weddings etc, how do you get the audio into your app? analog conversion? the manual is no help, in one line it indicates you can upload mp3s to the PC the next line says you cannot. Support on the web says you cannot.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:24 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
I just picked up two used iRiver IFP390T for my kids. getting mp3's etc onto them using the proprietary software works fine, but apparently it will not allow mp3's to be uploaded from the unit to the PC
Sure it will. Just plug the unit into the USB cable, fire up the software and drag the audio clips to the folder of your choice and follow the prompts. It will convert them.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM   #12
Major Player

I purchased a iriver 895 from best buy for like $125 when it first came out, its recorded over 100 weddings and still working like a champ. I also purchased a few refurbed 795 units.

If you buy an iriver, go to http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm and buy the mic for it!

I always sync my irivers by putting a couple together and then clapping my hands. I usually set up the irivers about 1/2 hour or so prior to the service and then forget them until it's time to go. I sync them by turning them on, testing the audio settings, loc them(on hold) then I clap my hands a few times with the 2 or 3 irivers in the same location. That way when you edit, you only have to sync it once. :)

I just purchased a micro memo for my ipod and will post when I test it.
Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:12 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
There lies the rub. You need an iPod itself so the price just doubled or tripled plus you still have all the limitations of the proprietary iPod.

There is talk that this is the next iRiver replacement for wedding videographers:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/ne..._h2_review.htm

Of course it's specs indicate it will be better than any iRiver could ever hope to be and at $200 it's a "doable" replacement.
I agree, 200 bucks for something the groom may drop out of his pocket and on to the floor is not really a replacment.

But replacment technology does work, just look at VISTA..........................wait. Nevermind, that's not a good analogy.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:22 AM   #14
Still Motion

I haven't been able to find out of the Zoom H2 will have some sort of auto levels function, does anybody know?

The cost difference between this and an iriver seems negligible considering the importance of what it is recording.

As far as the micromemo goes, does that have an auto levels function and how well does it work if so?

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM   #15
Major Player

Do the Iriver recorders require a powered microphone?
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques