Tell me about iriver - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:11 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
Sure it will. Just plug the unit into the USB cable, fire up the software and drag the audio clips to the folder of your choice and follow the prompts. It will convert them.

Rick, believe me, I've tried that and it doesn't work, at least here. But I will give it another shot tonight.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM   #17
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Coleman View Post
Do the Iriver recorders require a powered microphone?
No. .
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM   #18
Major Player

no, the irivers do not require a powered microphone, check the link from above.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
Rick, believe me, I've tried that and it doesn't work, at least here. But I will give it another shot tonight.
I assume you're trying this with a recording you made with the iRiver right? If you're trying to offload MP3 tunes to your PC though... I've never tried this as I use my iRivers strictly for recording. Even so, that would be strange that it wouldn't let you do this I would think.

What happens when you try. Does the iRiver music manager software give you a message? Do the files even list in the software?
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #20
Regular Crew

If the firmware is old then the IRiver will not show up as a removal drive (like any normal mp3 player, psp, usb drive, etc. does). You can upgrade the firmware to the latest but it will also drop the max recording rate from 320kbps to around 96kbps. I still run the old firmware and I cannot see mine as a removable drive (I can only access this via the IRiver software. Hope this helps.
Alex Amira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #21
Major Player

whoa whoa whoa.. ive never heard of this idea before but it seems to be just what Im after. Im using an onboard mic and a wireless mic for wedding speeches. If I was to buy a Micromemo (I think thats what its called) and connect it to my video ipod, do you think it would do a good job sitting on the top table...? Do you think it would be able to pick up everyones speech that is sitting along the top table (in which case meaning I wont need to use the wireless mic anymore?)

Would I need anything else also? I take it as logn as I fully charge my video ipod it runs off of the same battery?

Thanks
David
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne View Post
whoa whoa whoa.. ive never heard of this idea before but it seems to be just what Im after. Im using an onboard mic and a wireless mic for wedding speeches. If I was to buy a Micromemo (I think thats what its called) and connect it to my video ipod, do you think it would do a good job sitting on the top table...? Do you think it would be able to pick up everyones speech that is sitting along the top table (in which case meaning I wont need to use the wireless mic anymore?)

Would I need anything else also? I take it as logn as I fully charge my video ipod it runs off of the same battery?

Thanks
David
Yes, it runs off the iPod battery. However, the one drawback is that you can't charge as you're recording for your interview setting, it fits over the charging port. But I've gotten 4-5 hours record time with a single charge easily.

The lavalier mic for the MicroMemo is omnidirectional, and when the groom was wearing it, his voice was crystal clear and the bride's was as well (standing arm's length away), but slightly feinter (sp?) but still very clear and audible.

It will also accept line-in, so you can use existing mics you've already invested in. It comes with a mic, but I haven't used it because it's like a stick mic, and would be bulky for a wedding ceremony situation, but sitting on a table, might be just the right thing. The lavalier is an optional purchase, ~$100 for both items, plus the iPod of course, which you already have.

My requests to post attachments have still gone unanswered, otherwise, I'd share a small audio/video clip, zipped, showing what it can do.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Do you think it would be able to pick up everyones speech that is sitting along the top table (in which case meaning I wont need to use the wireless mic anymore?)
I can't say what that mic will pick up just setting on a table top but I don't think the pattern would yield good results.

If you already have a wireless, are you tapping into the DJ's board for the toasts? If not... (and I understand) then maybe mic one of his speakers. I get really good sound using a Sennheiser e604 drum mic ($120) mounted on a cheap mic stand and fed into a wireless.
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #24
Major Player

Rick, No the DJ isnt always present during the speeches, often a hand held mic isnt used so the clip mic I use is passed among speakers.. I only have one transmitter tho and i HATE having to get the speakers to pass it around, but theyre just too pricy to buy 2 or 3 more of them.

Grant, how do you clip the mic/ipod onto the speaker then? Also re: the lavalier, obviously I assume the mic you get with it is unidirectional and therefore possibly useless on a top table unless I move it between speeches?

thanks guys. Ive bought a micromemo anyway even if I dont use it for weddings it seems a nice little (and very affordable) creation if you already have an ipod!

EDIT:
having seen that the lavalier is a cheap tie clip mic.. do you think it would be a good idea to buy 4 of these, mic up all the speakers before the speeches, then simply unplug the ipod from speaker a's mic and connect it to speaker b's mic and so on.. would the recording stop? This seems simpler than trying to get the tie mic disconnected and re attached, as this took some time on the one and only occasion I have used it...
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne View Post
Rick, No the DJ isnt always present during the speeches, often a hand held mic isnt used so the clip mic I use is passed among speakers..
I've never done a wedding without folks talking into some kind of mic which in turn is fed through a PA system.

I can't believe I'm about to suggest this but... the most economical solution I have would be to use a shotgun mic. :)

*If* you can get within 8 feet of the toaster that is. I just can't picture pausing the natural flow of the event in order for you to transfer that iPod to each mic.

Also, if you do this types of "mic-less" events that often I would invest that $400 in a small PA system and rent it out to the couple. Then split feed that mic into a cam.
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #26
Major Player

yeah it only takes about 5 secs to transfer the mic and if i get in whilst the appluase is happening its not too bad, but i still dont want to ever have to do it again! what do you mean by shotgun mic? not a camera mounted one? I much prefer the idea of some sort of table mounted mic to investing in a PA, although i can see this PA would serve as a bonus for the audience as well as ensuring a nice recording of the speeches, assuming they use the mic well.. I'll certainly think about that. What piece of hardware would I need to split the signal once into the PA to the speakers as well as the cam input through the wireless receiever?
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
what do you mean by shotgun mic?
Search the forum or google it for options. It's a camera mounted mic designed for a tight pickup pattern - isolationg noise from the outside of your subject.

Quote:
What piece of hardware would I need to split the signal once into the PA to the speakers as well as the cam input through the wireless receiever?
Depends on the system. You would most likely plug your wireless transmitter into an "aux out" jack using a $7 cable.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #28
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Hmm, am I missing something here?

I have a small wireless system with a butt plug for my handheld. In your situation, I'd probably hook it up and have the guests pass it around. Problem solved. If it needs to be put thru a PA system, I'd add a second receiver and connect that to the mixer board. Simple. Quick. Works.

In fact, I'll be doing a rehearsal this Friday. Most likely there won't be any PA system. I'll be doing exactly what I just described.

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #29
Major Player

thanks Grant!....since reading your posts on the Micromemo today, i've now bought one for peanuts on amazon, to be delivered tomorrow.

and i have a wedding on saturday, bonus!

i already have an iRiver, but i'm not overly keen on the fiddly controls/menus, and i use my video iPod everyday of my life so it makes perfect sense.

- To those interested, i'll do a comparison test between the iRiver and Micromemo. I'll even try the giant squid in the micromemo!

- To those interested, i 'may' sell my iRiver if i prefer the Micromemo :)

cheers
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holland View Post
In your situation, I'd probably hook it up and have the guests pass it around. Problem solved.
Mark, problem is I dont have a hand held mic at the mo to connect to the wireless. I suppose this could work but even at the last wedding when the groom tapped the clip mic and looked at me in a jokey way, some crack shot in the audience shouted "we cant hear you!".. I can only imagine how many times that would happen if they were handing round a clearly visable hand held mic that wasnt in turn connected to a PA...

Richard, please let me know how you get on at the wedding with the micromemo..
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques