New wedding trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Major Player

New wedding trailer

Here's a quick 60s preview trailer I made for a couple I did a video for a few weeks ago. Critique if you want...

Shot with Canon XH-A1 using a modified 'Terra2' custom preset found on these forums. No color correction used... but the H.264 codec really flattened the colors and added some red tones when I compressed it, it looks much better straight HDV. Music from Killer Tracks.

http://preview.superiumpro.com/10054/index.xdm
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Nick,
It's good to see posting like this on here. I am always curious about the Canon A1 and what it can do. The shots here look great but here are my first impressions when watching it. I always assume that when people are making a trailer, they are trying to build anticipation. I have always seen it as a small recap of the day. This appears to just be a few shots from the photo shoot. Maybe I am not following. The other issue I had was the invoice number at the top of the page, this seems to disconnect from the couple alittle bit. Anyway, the shots look good, but I don't really understand the purpose of this particular piece. Thanks again for sharing.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, a recap is usually what I do, but with this wedding I figured I would try something different. Their ceremony was something sacred to them (very religious couple) and I figured leaving it out of a preview completely could build anticipation more... maybe I'm wrong, but either way they really enjoyed this clip, and that's the most important aspect for me.

I could get rid of the invoice number... I see your point there, no one ever really mentioned it before.

Thanks for the input
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Interesting clip...
To tell you the truth, i took my critique goggles off, and enjoyed the picture quality..

I'm also interested in purchasing this camera, so how's about you let me ask YOU a question..
Was that footage taped in HDV??

I'm trying to debate wheter to stick with my current DV settup, or take the jump to HDV (specifically this camera), and hope that a good image can still be produced onto DV.

As far as the regular complaints of macroblocking and poor lowlight taping, i find this camera to look quite good in BOTH cases...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Peter, actually this clip was updated since I originally posted and now includes some parts from the ceremony. I just forgot I had it posted on here.. forgot to update

Anyway... yes, this was shot in 1080i HDV at 1/60 shutter, mostly indoor around mid-morning/afternoon. I was in the same boat you were with the switching from DV to HDV, and personally I love HDV since I made the switch.. never noticed the macro blocking, etc. from anything I've shot, and I've also shot on a Sony Z1U and JVC HD-250. I have watched footage from my camera (the XH-A1) on a 52" LCD HDTV and I was speechless.

For SD though, downconverted video from HDV makes a very sharp and clear picture. I shoot, edit, and master everything in HDV, then use compressor with the built-in DVD settings (16:9 90 minutes best quality) to compress it down for SD, and I've heard nothing but good comments.

Yea, the cameras do need a little more light, but I tell the B&G up front if you don't turn some lights on, your video won't look like the demos, and so far about 85% of them cared more about the final video than how the lights were set.

I've only used supplemental light once, and it was an outdoor wedding. Right after the ceremony it got really dark, really fast, so I stuck a light on the camera just to get some shots of the B&G headed to the reception, and had it on when they were leaving, etc. Photogs didn't care, and B&G didn't care... ultimately they were very pleased with their videos.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques