An SDE in Boracay Island at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Major Player

An SDE in Boracay Island

First, if ever any of you guys find yourself in the Philippines, you really HAVE to take the time to go to Boracay Island - one of the finest beaches in the world.

This is one of the most laid back weddings we've ever shot, but the editing of the SDE wasn't though - pressure filled as always.

The couple spared no expense - Carolina Herrera Gown, Armani Suit, flying us in etc.

The song is Starlight by Muse

http://www.jmagbanua.com/vids/janice_alvin.wmv

Thanks for watching.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

As always, totally impressed at what you can do for an SDE. Top notch work even if it took you 3 days. The fact that it was an SDE still blows my mind. One of these days I'll get to that level . . one of these days . . .
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Great job Jason
Good to see a fast edit once in a while. The flow was awesome. What cams are you using for this? again great work.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Impressive and fun to watch.
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Trustee

Jason,
You are one of the true masters, I've often thought your work was some of the best out there... and you edit that stuff in a fraction of the time the rest of us do. It's simply amazing.

Couple questions:
- Everything seems so well lit all the time. Is this due to lots of windows on location or are you bringing in supplemental lighting? If so, what are you lighting interiors with?

- The color correction work was clean and consistent, are you going into these weddings with a pre-determined look and dialing it in on the cameras or are you adding it in post? If in post, what plugins are you using that render fast enough for an SDE?

- On average, how long do you have to edit these SDE's?

- I'm assuming you pull your SDE footage from firestores or something like that. How do you deal with multiple camera's footage, or is there a dedicated SDE shooter and you only have to worry about footage from one person?

***EDIT***
I just noticed the photos in the book she gave him. How cool is that?? When my wife finally decides to leave me, I'm moving to your country to find a wife.
Oh, and I've corrected my spelling mistakes in the original post... maybe I need to wake up fully before posting next time.

-Ethan Cooper

Last edited by Ethan Cooper; January 11th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bowers View Post
Great job Jason
Good to see a fast edit once in a while. The flow was awesome. What cams are you using for this? again great work.
Thanks, FX1s Jason :).
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Major Player

John and Travis

Glad you liked the piece. Cheers!
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Ethan! I'm humbled by your words. Let me go through your questions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Couple questions:
- Everything seems so well lit all the time. Is this due to lots of windows on location or are you bringing in supplemental lighting? If so, what are you lighting interiors with?

For the preps, the hotel resort was simply beautifully lit with large floor to ceiling windows. But that's the exception. Ninety percent of the time, we use a 300w color corrected "cold" light for fill.

It's acceptable here to place lights on stands in churches and receptions. We use 2 x 800w Arris, diffused, corrected and bounced.

- The color correction work was clean and consistent, are you going into these weddings with a pre-determined look and dialing it in on the cameras or are you adding it in post? If in post, what plugins are you using that render fast enough for an SDE?

The "look" is achieved in two ways. First, we have tweaked picture profiles for our FX1s (we shoot SD). We then grade it further in Adobe Premiere using FilmFX (light years faster than MB). Their presets are awesome to begin with (emulating various film stock) but I've managed to cook up some of our own.

You are correct, sometimes, before the edit (sometimes during), listening to the music, checking the feel of the video, I decide which way to go in terms of coloring. I might do something I recently watched on TV or the movies, or perhaps a striking picture, or something that will go well with the music. I was intrigued with your question and recalled my favorites - crossprocessed, BW with a hint of blue or brown, oversaturated, and desaturated.

- On average, how long do you have to edit these SDE's?
anywhere from between 1.30 to 3. Depends on how close the reception is to the ceremony. This one was particularly tight, I think I had two fifteen to do it (a chunk of it was done in the ceremony during the homily).

- I'm assuming you pull your SDE footage from firestores or something like that. How do you deal with multiple camera's footage, or is there a dedicated SDE shooter and you only have to worry about footage from one person?

We don't use HDs because I cannot take on the additional weight of the devices. It cramps our handheld shooting. We capture tapes in appropriate intervals from three cameras. The third one shoots just very little (balcony or glide shots during the walk, extra "MTV" footage at the church and the formals).

***EDIT***
I just noticed the photos in the book she gave him. How cool is that?? When my wife finally decides to leave me, I'm moving to your country to find a wife.
Oh, and I've corrected my spelling mistakes in the original post... maybe I need to wake up fully before posting next time.
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Good you mentioned the gift, I totally forgot about it. Alvin gave Janice a Cartier Ladies Tank Watch. Very expensive. But her gift to him was priceless ... an album of her consisting of pictures from a secretly arranged boudoir session with their photographer.

Awesome!
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Jason,

That was ridiculous. Killer shooting skill, colour work, composition, editing and innovative story telling.

I really liked that opening sequence of detail shots too. With the colour work however I do notice that the whites get a tad overblown but I can't see many people other then ourselves noticing that. Love your trademark sweeping glidecam shots that you always sprinkle in as well as the bride entering from the white light.

ps. I hate you =)
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Jason,

Great work, as usual. I love the colors.

I wish you were coming to Orlando. Once they announce the dates for next year, start that visa process.
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Wrangler

Hey Jason great work. My mom's management company designed and runs Discovery Shores, I'll pass the video clip on to her, I think she'll like it.

Including Boy Bawang was genius!
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Wrangler

Did they get married in the church just about 1/4 mile down the back road (by the school area)? If it is, I think you made it much nicer looking, than it really is.
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #14
Regular Crew

..........Genius!!!
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
Hey Jason great work. My mom's management company designed and runs Discovery Shores, I'll pass the video clip on to her, I think she'll like it.

Including Boy Bawang was genius!
Awesome ! Such a small world. That place is gorgeous. Heard they're celebrating their first Anniv on March.

I HAD to include BOY BAWANG (cheap Filipino corn snack for the masses), It proved a nice counterpoint to all the designer labels.

Thanks Michael!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques