First Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First Trailer

I would like to share with you a trailer from my first wedding this season (April 5th).
My first wedding trailer.
Waiting for some feedback.

http://www.vimeo.com/891280
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Konrad you did a good job and you should be proud of your trailer. You had a good color scheme and I really liked your use of steadicam shots. Very different style of use with a more faster approach like Patrick but you were going low angle which added a totally different feel. The one thing I don't like in your trailer which is a "preference here" is on the double bass thump of the song you did a quick cut then to the clip you wanted. It would've been better to just take out those quick clip selections. It made it very awkward to enjoy. I know you were editing to the beat but for me it didn't flow but it may for others. Good job and thanks for sharing. Very nice to see in HD!

How did you get those low angle shots gliding? Did you flip your stabilizer upside down and reverse it in post?

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
It would've been better to just take out those quick clip selections. It made it very awkward to enjoy. I know you were editing to the beat but for me it didn't flow but it may for others.
I agree with this comment. Very nice work though. And a perfect trailer... I don't even know these people and when it ended I wanted more. Mission accomplished. Nice Glidecam shots too. Good work!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Good work Neighbor!

I like your steady-cam shots. Like others didn't really like the quick cuts to the beat specially the quick zoom officiant. Other than that everything looks great. Keep it up.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I also agree on the flashes inbetween, was a bit too fast for me, but look and feel in general was excellent. I also did like the glidecamshots, looked like you were actually flying with your cam. :)
I have said it in the past but my feeling with glidecamshots is if they are executed well and not too fast it can be a great extra value but don't overuse it. Between 00:49 and 00:55 the glidecam shots seem to be a bit out of place and you might get seasick if you look at it on a big screen. :)

Can I ask what setup you used for the glidecam shots?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Very nice trailer and good stabilizer work. I have to say I actually liked the quick cuts on the bass beat. I think it gave the video some good movement and character, and gave me the feeling I wasn't getting the full story (which is what a trailer should do).

I also liked the music. What was that? One note on the music was that it seemed to end too abruptly at the end of the video. I know you probably had to edit down the song, but the end was noticeable. A trick you might try is to cut out one of those heavy bass beats and drop it at the end as a "finishing beat". If that doesn't work, maybe look at the actual end of the song and see if you can edit that in at the end.

Anyways, nice work!

:EDIT: I meant to add that I liked how you sped up some of the stabilizer shots. That added great variety and movement to the video.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for critique, guys.
I know what you mean, most of you, with that double bass thump.
I have to confess that I was tempted at the beginning to go with those flashes on all of those thumps... then you would be all over me :)
I just tried to tease and intrigue the viewer a little with only quick moments of the day. Just like Travis wrote, I didn't want to show too much, but still get some excitement.
That's my first attempt at the trailer, so there is still a lot to learn.
Travis, the music is from The Island and indeed, right after 1:24 it goes really dramatic and for sure it's not for the wedding. I probably could have gone an extra step with the ending, instead of just fading it so fast. Now I'm not changing anything as the couple has already seen the trailer.

Noa, in regards to setup - just glidecam 4000 with minimum weights for A1 with WA.
Monday - just like you said - upside down, reversed in post.
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Great steadycam shots and some great compositions. Kept me intrested all the way. Agreed on the flashes as well.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Major Player

HI Konrad,

Very impressive first attempt at a trailer. Some very cinematic glidecam work (really killer low mode stuffs), and some good colour work too; really loved the shot @ the pier.

Some constructive criticisms, I would considering cutting down the number of direct to music cuts as they appear to be a tad too fast and can also make the piece predictable. Also the quick zoom's seem a tad out of place when mated with those great glidecam shots.

Really solid storytelling overall.

Michael
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #10
Major Player

awesome trailer, especially for the 1st attempt.

Let's start from the back.. at 1:12.. I didn't like the snippet of a wedding gown trail moving in the corner.. looked like a snake creeping away. The shot after that which pans up to the bride is good, which I think with just that shot, would look great.

At 0:45.. the biker ruined the shot. So far in the trailer we only see the couple and their families+guests. Pair it with the music and it really ascends the visceral feelings from that day. The introduction of a random biker IMO "taint" the general feel of the trailer up to that point, bringing it down to earthly levels, especially when it is so predominantly displayed in the shot.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks again for feedback and opinions.
Mike, I'm working on the glidecam skills and color a lot lately and it will be no surprise when I say that I take a lot of inspiration from your and Patrick's work.
Yang, I laughed so much about the comment about the "snake creeping away". I would never think of it this way. It's actually one of my favorite shots.
The biker - yes, maybe it doesn't fit. It will add more to the photo-session clip, as it took place at the lake, with a lot of trails filled with bikers and skaters. (It was first warm day after long time. Really warm. ANd the day before it snowed).
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Konard:

Ha.. my other initial reaction was that it reminded me of a typical scene from a horror movie where the camera falls to the ground from the victim's hand and we see the victim's body next to the camera and then something off the screen (preferably some sort of grotesque creature with human intelligence) drags the victim's body towards him and the body creeps out of the shot.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm almost crying now...
You ruined the whole image of that shot in my head...
... sister of the bride looking happy, clapping hands for newlyweds, cross in the background, just a tiny bit of a gown leaving the frame - the ceremony just ended, they are married - hurray, the whole building of emotions, teasing the viewer, not showing the whole thing...
And you've seen what? lol
BTW What kind of movies do you watch usually?
or
What colors are your walls? Not black?
lol
Funny guy.
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques