Wedding Footage - first timer... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #16
Regular Crew

About CC - I'm using a new imac, which makes CC almost impossible. I've calibrated it - but it doesn't help much. For example, if you move your head or the lcd screen, the color changes.

So I got a TV to help with it. Basically - I color correct on the TV, but when I look back on it on another TV or a computer screen, the colors change and I can't get it to be consistent. So - I think I'm doing it right - but it's just for that screen. Did that make sense?

I got Warmcards recently and they seem to help quite a bit.

But, I think that I just need to understand how to use the Color Wheel a bit more in FCP. I'm not really sure how to use it - and I'm just looking for some tricks of the trade when using CC.

Plus, if white balance if off in the shoot - like with this video I posted - I tried to correct it, but, well, you saw the results.
Nick Avdienko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #17
Inner Circle

There are lots of tutorials online that might help you understand everything better and get better results. Here's a sample link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2o8W...eature=related

Once you understand the process of how the 3-way-cc works, then it's just a matter of experimentation to get a feel for how to make it work for you. I'm in the process of color correcting a ceremony right now, and I've probably spent 1 hour editing and another 30-45 minutes on CC. Sometimes CC will be a breeze and sometimes not.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I swear that I am changing the setting to public. But it doesn't save it for some reason.

Let me reload it

Last edited by Nick Avdienko; May 20th, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Okay - I did some more work on this. I feel it's better than the first version I posted. Did some CC and took out some "shaky cam" shots

http://www.vimeo.com/1044318
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #20
Inner Circle

You did a great job on the improvement. Looks a lot better. Give yourself a pat on the back!
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Travis - you comments REALLY helped me improve this one!
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Avdienko View Post
Thanks Travis - you comments REALLY helped me improve this one!
No problem. Just glad to hear I helped you out. Good luck!
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Okay - I did some more work on this.http://www.vimeo.com/1044318
Yes, much better, now the different clips match better together.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM   #24
Trustee

Much improved

Quote:
Okay - I did some more work on this. I feel it's better than the first version I posted. Did some CC and took out some "shaky cam" shots

http://www.vimeo.com/1044318
The new draft was much improved. But don't let this allow the idea to creep in that you can "fix it in post." Getting things right in camera is always preferable, but that is also harder to do.

Good job. I remember looking at the first few drafts of my first video thinking... "ugh.... I could have such a better product if I just did X, Y, Z." The important thing for me was to actually write those things down on a list and take that with me to the next wedding and refresh my mind about what not to and what TO do.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
The new draft was much improved. But don't let this allow the idea to creep in that you can "fix it in post." Getting things right in camera is always preferable, but that is also harder to do.

Good job. I remember looking at the first few drafts of my first video thinking... "ugh.... I could have such a better product if I just did X, Y, Z." The important thing for me was to actually write those things down on a list and take that with me to the next wedding and refresh my mind about what not to and what TO do.
Jason - thanks - that's exactly what I did. I had a wedding this past weekend, and I took everyone's advice - and I was very happy with the footage. White balance was really nice, did more static shots, better framing with less dutch angles, etc. I had so much fun at this past wedding. I love doing this so much and I am incredibly thankful for all of the support.
Nick Avdienko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques