MiniDisc Recorders - Good choice for Weddings? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 29th, 2003, 01:15 PM   #31
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Could a model like this be used for weddings?

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...5&catoid=-8362 -->>>

No, I don't believe that particular model has a mic in.

I just ordered the Sony MZB-100 Business Recorder. It has a mic-in, but also has it's own built in stereo mic. I'll test it and let you guys know how it does....
Torajima Watanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #32
Wrangler

The mode is labeled 'Mono.'

I've never had a ceremony over 1 hour long so I've never used it in a wedding in other than the prime stereo mode.
Old August 5th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #33
New Boot

I have been doing some investigation into a MD recorder for the getting-very-close trip to Kenya for the migration. I like the new Sharp MD-DR480, actually a Sharp Japan model but available in the US, because it has 24 bit/48kHz sampling. Also looking at the Sony MZNF810 model. However, I am a little confused about getting the audio out of the MD recorder and into my PC when I get home.

I have read a few articles on various audio sites stating that the transfer is one way, something to do with copyright protection, and there is no way to get the audio from the MD back into the PC with these cheaper, consumer MD recorders. A quote from one of the articles stated

"Despite extensive filtering, the headphone leads can still have high-frequency switching signals on them, and these often feed back into microphone leads and cause havoc in mixers and the like. Also, the phone output can't easily be used as a line output for connecting to hi-fi gear, again because there isn't a conventional audio signal on it."

Of course, he is talking about hi-fi and not PC but I take it you are not having any similar problems with your transfers. A little help for the New Boot would be appreciated. How do you transfer audio from the MD into the PC? Through the headphone out jack?
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #34
Major Player

Hi there,
All of the MDs these days have sample rate convertor 32/44.1/48 when recording. The output though is 44.1kHz only.

Consumer models are OK but if you want higher speed download to the PC you will look for Net MD. This means that using software and USB cable you can download to PC (rip MDs) at high speed.

If you use the analog output usually nowdays portables share phones/line out so there are no major compability problems.

If you made the MD (analog recording from mic, mixer, etc.) than you can use also digital optical connection to record to other digital medea (including PC)
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #35
New Boot

Bogdan,

I am reading the new Sony MZNF810 NetMD MDs manual. Per the manual, NetMD is only for transferring audio data from the PC to the MD through a USB cable and not the other way around. The only audio data that can be transferred back from the MD is data that was originally downloaded from the PC to the MD.

Also, the only digital mini-jack I see on the Sony is for digital input. The only output is a stereo mini-jack.

Can you tell me which MD you know that allows the digital transfer out of the MD to the PC.
Old August 6th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #36
Regular Crew

none

if I'm not mistaken, none of the consumer MD's will allow digital transfer to a PC. I think this was covered earlier. Sony is paranoid of copyright violation so you have to capture the sound through some analog input.
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:25 PM   #37
Major Player

Sorry for misleading you for the digital out. Only portables to second or thirdgeneration had both digital in/out. Their size was also bigger. Now all portables have digital in only.

You need MD deck at your home to have the digital out. Usually they are cheaper than the portable but it's extra expence of coarse.

I personaly was interested in Net MD but didn't buy till now so can't tell you more. If you find that information that's too bad you can't rip! I thought I read some other place you can rip. Check higher model. In Japan Sony don't sell 810 - there is only N910, N1 and N10 wich are the top models for the last 2-3 years.
N1 was the first Net MD and have USB cradle. N10 is even smaller but Sony decided to build in lithium ion battery which you can't exchange. And this years model is N910 which is back with the NiMH battery but doesn't have cradle. It has USB mini port.

Hope that helps.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques