Which printer do you use for disc printing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which printer do you use for disc printing?

My Epson R220 just tanked on me. I need a printer capable of printing on disc. I know that the Epson RX595 is capable of this, but if possible I would rather stay away from Epson all together. I seem to have grown to hate them. Anyway, that seems to be the obnly one I kow of that can print on disc...any suggestions from you would be welcome.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Major Player

My Epson also died over the weekend. I was considering stand alone DVD printers but decided on the HP 5360. It works fabulously! The only problem is that they leave a roller mark on watershield discs. The mark is more of a mark caused by to much pressure from the rollers and the printer prints right over them. It's ok, the DVD inkjets from Prodisc look incredible compared to the Pro Disc inkjets printed from the R220. I give a thumbs up if you don't mind not using watershields.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Are the Prodisc you mentioned glossy like the watershields?
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Major Player

No they only come in matte white and matte silver inkjet printable. The TY Watershields and Verbatim are the only ones that have glossy coats available I believe.
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Are the marks really noticable...will the client complain about them?
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Major Player

At first glance they are not. It's impeccable. Then when you turn the disc just a hair towards lite you will see 5 marks the length of the disc. Let me see if I can upload a sample. Bruce has a very good suggestion which I was looking at, the Dymo printer
Attached Thumbnails
Which printer do you use for disc printing?-cimg0136.jpg   Which printer do you use for disc printing?-cimg0137.jpg  

Last edited by Monday Isa; June 17th, 2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Have you tried the Dymo Disc Painter? We've had great luck with it if you're doing a small quantity of DVD copies.

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/DiscPainter/default.html
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm using the Epson R380 with TY watershield and the results are quite stunning. I went from an R300 and had a few issues with that here and there. I haven't seen any of those issues with the 380 and the glossy print is amazing.

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post
Have you tried the Dymo Disc Painter? We've had great luck with it if you're doing a small quantity of DVD copies.

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/DiscPainter/default.html
That looks really great... any others use this or can you tell me more about it? I read the FAQ but would love to hear the good and bad from you as well. THANKS! (I use a DYMO postage and label printer for mailings and it's a great product)
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Epson R210 and i never use genuine ink to expensive ebay has great buys on bundles of ink
and i have never had a problem

Rob.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #11
New Boot

We use a Canon Pixma iP4500. We previously used an Epson R220 but this died on us. In a way I'm pleased as the Canon performs much better in my opinion. Also going to continue with genuine inks this time. Never felt happy with cheaper brands and feel this contributed to the premature failure of my Epson (just out of warranty - although no doubt warranty void anyway due to using non-genuine inks!).

Dean.

Old June 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #12
Major Player

My Espon printer croaked as well... and always gave me fits.

Three months I got this sucker from Discmakers: http://www.discmakers.com/duplicator...rs/BravoSE.asp

I love this thing!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
Epson R210 and i never use genuine ink to expensive ebay has great buys on bundles of ink
and i have never had a problem

Rob.
That's what I was doing...getting the continuous ink from ebay for my R220. I honestly could not see a difference. I would like to be able to get a printer capable of printing to disc, but also capable of using the CISS
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I have the Canon Mp600. It a great scanner and photo printer too. I only use genuine inks aswell.
Niall Megahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I purchased a Canon 6700 with a DVD/VD printing tray and i must say the speed and the print quality is superior than any other inkject printers available on the market.

What i don't like about the dedicated DVD/CD printers is the quality, they seem to be pixelated and the media always seem to be very glossy.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques