First Super8 of the year - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 25th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hey Travis,

I've always found that simulations are never a replacement for the real thing. Shooting with the 8mm isn't just for the look, it's about the whole experience. The way the camera is held (like a gun), the sound of the film flying through the camera, and the look and feel of 8mm film all contribute to the video.

Trying to replicate the way 8MM is shot just seems to miss the point. I think Nick summed it up best as "authentic". We didn't just take normal footage and try and make it look like old film, but you ACTUALLY shot 8MM film. People respond differently to an 8MM camera too. They act goofier around it!

I couldn't stop smiling when we were editing the video. I don't know if it was the nostalgia of working with the medium, or how the medium allowed us to creatively experiment in a way we didn't think we could do before.
Luke Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Raymond View Post
Hey Travis,

I've always found that simulations are never a replacement for the real thing. Shooting with the 8mm isn't just for the look, it's about the whole experience. The way the camera is held (like a gun), the sound of the film flying through the camera, and the look and feel of 8mm film all contribute to the video.

Trying to replicate the way 8MM is shot just seems to miss the point. I think Nick summed it up best as "authentic". We didn't just take normal footage and try and make it look like old film, but you ACTUALLY shot 8MM film. People respond differently to an 8MM camera too. They act goofier around it!

I couldn't stop smiling when we were editing the video. I don't know if it was the nostalgia of working with the medium, or how the medium allowed us to creatively experiment in a way we didn't think we could do before.
A few points ...

First, the idea that people act differently around an 8mm camera is something I hadn't thought of. I guess they feel more at ease because it feels less formal? That's pretty cool, and it's definitely something you can't duplicate with a DV camera.

Second, you mentioned a few things other than the look that is unique to 8mm film; sound and the way you hold the camera. Regarding the sound, in the video that I did last year where I simulated the old film look, I also overlayed an authentic 8mm running sound, and it worked great (complete with starting and stopping sounds). As for the way you hold the camera, I can see that it makes a difference to YOU the videographer, but in the footage I've seen posted on here nothing looked any different than anything I've shot (except shakier).

So again, I really think the fascination with old film for the client is mostly about the look, but the fascination for the videographer is really mostly just the fun of working with film. Although I do now realize that part of the fascination for the client is actually having the film camera there on their wedding day as part of the experience.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #18
Major Player

Ryan. thanks for sharing. I would have used higher asa film for the indoors but otherwise great clip.

I'm by no means a film expert but I think the allure of film stems from the format itself and none from it's inherent characteristics (scratches, frame rate, color). I also believe this is replicable, not exactly, but close enough to satisfy ordinary consumers.

But just the very idea of shooting in film, NOT tape, sells the product. Regardless if it's grainy, scratchy and without sound.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #19
New Boot

Thanks a lot Jason!

On another note, I would love to see some people post up simulated 8mm, as I have never seen anything that looks as good as the real thing...
Ryan Whitefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
There are a number of reasons why people want the Super 8 footage. It's retro - it reminds them of their (or their parents) old home movies. So it has a 'nostalgic' factor to it - sure. But saying that the super 8 film look is 'blown out highlights', scratches, desaturated colors, (HELLO KODACHROME!!!), jitter and faster frame rate (even though you can shoot in 24fps with super 8) is not really accurate.
I couldn't agree more. You cannot discount the nostalgia factor. The minute I tell someone I can shoot their wedding in Super 8, their emotions take over. What emotions do you elicit when you tell a client you can shoot in SD, or HD? To prove a point, I'll mention one word and I'll take a wild guess that anyone over 35 will get a twinge of nostalgia.

"Lunchbox"

Go discuss.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Ryan that was very impressive. Not only the use of Super8 , but how you captured moments and the shooting style, awesome man. Did you shoot everything in Super 8 or did you shoot video also. And what did you for the film transfer and edit ?
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #22
New Boot

Thanks a lot Paul!
We covered most the day in Super 8 as well as the entire day in HD. Everything was edited in FCP.
Ryan Whitefield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques