Alexey & Anastasia wedding trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 31st, 2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Alexey & Anastasia wedding trailer

Launched this trailer a couple of weeks ago, desided to share..
It has an unusuall turn to the story which took sometimes ambiguously
What do you think?

Aleksey & Anastasya wedding trailer on Vimeo
Serge Satkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Serge,

It was a pleasure to watch your trailer.

I think what I liked the best was your shooting. You get great compositions, nice ideas, beautifully framed and exposed. Well done.

When he is spinning her inside and you cut to him spinning her outside, I thought a dissolve would be better. Then you have a fade to black right away which I thought didn't work.

The shots of the performance at the reception were cool, if a little scary, but I thought they ruined the mood of the piece. They took me out of it.

Small criticisms for an otherwise outstanding piece. Great work.
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I love the shot of the dress moving by itself. Very cool. I also liked the shot of her spinning by the lake and the shot of her putting on the garter in the mirror.

I didn't really like the transition to the dancing in the middle. It just felt abrupt and seemed to break the continuity of the piece. I watched the video twice, to see if it would grow on me, but it still didn't feel right. Not really sure how you'd incorporate those visuals with this video.

Thanks for sharing!
Old August 31st, 2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I love the shot of the dress moving by itself. Very cool. I also liked the shot of her spinning by the lake and the shot of her putting on the garter in the mirror
I should have mentioned those two shots. I agree with Travis, they were spectacular.
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you, Vito, Travis!

Vito appreciate the editing details! I think the fade was to be before outside shots not after first outside shot..

And it was not perfect idea to mix two different styles. Just tried to make story when there was no.. Tried to make unusual turn and some kind of a little shock to spectators.. ) This "scary" part was intended as a flashback to several shows on reception still keeping intrigue by indirect showing them. Other meaning was some symbol.. Dancing men look scary but fall down at the end just in front of the couple.. But overal solution has more questions than understanding if I need to explain.. So should be revised or worked more carefully on. You're both right!
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Lebedev View Post
Dancing men look scary but fall down at the end just in front of the couple.. But overal solution has more questions than understanding if I need to explain.. So should be revised or worked more carefully on.
Hi Serge,

It's clear that the dancing men are a performance during the reception. It's just that you have no transition to bring us to the reception. It's too sudden, out of nowhere, and then it's gone. Doesn't work well that way.

I don't agree that you have no story. You show them getting ready, the fun of the groom pretending to get away, and them getting together and showing their love for each other. Concentrate on that and you have plenty.

Have fun revising it.

Last edited by Vito DeFilippo; September 1st, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Serge - nice! Loved it.

The only thing which killed it (for me) though is a bride with a cigarette at the end.

I guess it's a cultural thing though which we are conditioned to - smoking is very "uncool" now on this side of the world, with smoking bans in bars, restaurants and workplaces. Occasionally if I have a smoking bride or wedding party, I am requested specifically not to include any shots of them smoking.

Even when it was cool - I was always turned off by chicks who stank of smoke - just feel it clashes so much with the feminine beauty bought out in the rest of the piece. She looks like a neat person.

Loved the music to! Might steal it from ya... cheers.

Keep up the great work!
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you Vito!
I don't bother on any critics, all we must work and improve ourselves!

Yes John, smoking isn't cool. This cigarette so thin and light that could be more part of image not the essence of the bride.. Maybe cigarette holder could make this shot more elegant.. But woman with cigarette looks worse than man anyway.. I'll think about it.

I love Enya music but not all wedding allow using it )

Thank you!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Serge, good work. The music worked well with your shots. My favorite part for me was the beginning, You did a great job transitioning from one shot to the other.

I would agreed with Vito and Travis with regards to the Dancers, i think if you keep the Enya music throughout and incorporate the dancers, you will still get the dramatic effect that you are looking for, especially if you leave those scenes in black & white.

Job well done.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thank you Carl!
(sorry for absence was too overloaded with events late week)
I will revise second part before giving to client, this obvious for me now!
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Agree with the previous comments. The first half was impressive. I really liked the juwelery and dress shots.

The transition to the performance was a bit unexpected, but going back to Enya afterwards was not so good decision. And yes, the smoking shots destroy a bit of the image of the bride that you built up in the first part of the video.

But once again, very good shooting apart from those things.
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thank you Winfried! I'll try to share final edit when it's ready, my workflow on summer takes about 2-4 month
Serge Satkar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques