Candle light Wedding Reception at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Candle light Wedding Reception

Hi there,

I have recently taken a wedding booking for next year and I would like some tips on how you guys would go about shooting the speeches in a room which will only be lit with candles.

I will be using the Canon XH A1 camera, but i'm not sure whether to go about setting up extra lighting, as the venue is a neo gothic mansion in Stratford Upon Avon, England.

I'm unsure whether the venue will allow extra lighting anyway due to the size of the room and table settings.

I know I need to go and check the venue out, first hand, but I would like to know how you guys would go about this.

Hope you can help out.

Thanking you

Wayne
Wayne Greensill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If the lighting is ONLY by candlelight, you will want some additional lighting on the toasters. I'd suggest on-camera lighting, since that will be easier to setup and less intrusive to the "mood" and shouldn't break any venue rules.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
If the lighting is ONLY by candlelight, you will want some additional lighting on the toasters. I'd suggest on-camera lighting, since that will be easier to setup and less intrusive to the "mood" and shouldn't break any venue rules.
Thanks Travis for getting back to me.

Would you go for a mains powered light on the camera, as you are probably aware speeches can go on quite a while, and what wattage of lamp would you go for.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Greensill View Post
Thanks Travis for getting back to me.

Would you go for a mains powered light on the camera, as you are probably aware speeches can go on quite a while, and what wattage of lamp would you go for.
No problem. Honestly at this point I would use my Litepanels Micro for the job. It's dimmable so you can adjust the brightness as needed, and it will go for hours on it's AA batteries and provides good light (and doesn't get hot). I used to use a Bescor 20/40watt light, but I prefer my LP Micro now.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

How long can the lite panel last for then continuous?

Wayne
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Greensill View Post
How long can the lite panel last for then continuous?

Wayne
I've heard 4 hours, sometimes more. I think it can go 8 hours with special AA batteries. I've never needed mine to go even 4 hours, though.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Get close and keep a wide open apature and zoom. Then add a lite pannel light or similar. If you are stuck in the back of the room the zoom will rob you of a lot of light.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

i would use a 500w or 1000w light stand and put in the corner somewhere for the speeches ONLY.

It is best not to ask for permission to turn on the light because the reception people don't know much about lighting for video.
Anthony Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
Get close and keep a wide open apature and zoom. Then add a lite pannel light or similar. If you are stuck in the back of the room the zoom will rob you of a lot of light.

Wise words! There are also some good low light presets out there.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Smith View Post
i would use a 500w or 1000w light stand and put in the corner somewhere...
Do you get many referrals Anthony? LOL!
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Do you get many referrals Anthony? LOL!
Plenty. All the guests knows the room was too dark and to film the speech properly you need good light. You shorten my quote John you naughty boy. Longer quote make more sense. :)
Anthony Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for getting back to me with your views.

I was looking at these lights, do you think they would be ok?

2400W Studio Continuous video Light kit + accessory D3I on eBay, also, Studio Equipment Lighting, Photography (end time 08-Sep-08 01:35:20 BST)
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Personally I think 800w might be a bit too bright. The lights I use have 2 300w bulbs, and last night for the first dance and so forth I only used one of the 300w bulbs.
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Smith View Post
i would use a 500w or 1000w light stand and put in the corner somewhere for the speeches ONLY.
A thousand watts? Man, you're going to trip the fire alarm. :) May as well just turn the houselights up a bit. It's less of a distraction.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

We use a couple of Lowell Omni lights, 500w. However we plug each unit into a dimmer as well as use frost gels along with whatever color of gel to set the mood. Typically this would be a blue gel but for a candlelight event, I might try using a warming gel. You simply can't beat this type of lighting (unless maybe you step up to an Arri's unit!)- at least in my opinion. One light is near the DJ/Band set up bouncing off the ceiling/wall. The 2nd can be more flexible depending on venue. We usually pack up around 10:30 and it's so funny to see the room plunged into darkness when we take the lights down and no one had ever been displeased about disrupting the mood. Gel filters are cheap!

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques