Camera artists: your approach to planning and getting great shots? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM   #16
Major Player

the more you zoom in the shallower the depth of field.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM   #17
Major Player

yes, but it it also brings the background closer to the subject, it does however decrease the lens's ability to focus on that object.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Kell,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell Smith View Post
What is the mental process, the approach, that goes into evaluating your surroundings and choosing the shots you will need in any given situation? The angles, the lighting, the variety of shots you will get, new and interesting ideas, etc?
For me its all about finding elements in the surroundings that relate to each other and then figuring out how to include both in the same shot. Some are examples are practical, like shooting over the shoulder of an on-looker, and some are simply a composition that is visually balanced. You can do a rack focus to draw the eye from one element to the other or you can use wide angle lenses and dutch angles to create a composition that is content-driven. What I try to do is set up a shot that has interest on more than one level by including things that interact with each other somehow. People are always good for that - they are a perfect creative obstruction. This isn't a wedding but its a good example - instead of shooting the clock straight on and then prepping the horse I included both in the same shot:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1220463684
Attached Thumbnails
Camera artists: your approach to planning and getting great shots?-horse.jpg  
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Kell,

For me its all about finding elements in the surroundings that relate to each other and then figuring out how to include both in the same shot. Some are examples are practical, like shooting over the shoulder of an on-looker, and some are simply a composition that is visually balanced. You can do a rack focus to draw the eye from one element to the other or you can use wide angle lenses and dutch angles to create a composition that is content-driven. What I try to do is set up a shot that has interest on more than one level by including things that interact with each other somehow. People are always good for that - they are a perfect creative obstruction. This isn't a wedding but its a good example - instead of shooting the clock straight on and then prepping the horse I included both in the same shot:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1220463684
That is a good shot.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques