How to Introduce SDE? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to Introduce SDE?

For those that shows Same Day Edits at the reception, how is it introduced?
Also, is it suppose to be shown at the beginning, middle, or end? Or whenever it gets boring?

Who is suppose to introduce it? the DJ?

The SDE concept is still new to me, and i just want to get everything figured out before i show one.

Thanks
-Jack Tran
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jack,

We recently produced a SDE for a Houston videographer. He was already booked and his second team does not have a SDE team, so he flew us down to Houston. At the reception they had a band, so the lead singer announced for everyone to have a seat to view a special video presentation. It started with a growing up photo montage and then flowed into the SDE.

The sooner you can show the SDE, the more people will still be there to see it, however if you want to show some of the reception footage in the SDE, it will take some time. It depends on the schedule of the reception, but we prefer to show it after the major events have happened, but before the general dancing starts.

In addition to all of those considerations, you need to communicate with the client and the clients coordinator that you may need some flexibility in the showing time.

If the reception has a band, you will usually have to schedule it around their breaks, which are usually about every hour or so. If they have a DJ, you have a little more flexibility.

If you wait to show it at the end of the reception, you run the risk of a very small audiance, which not only hurts the marketing benefits of a SDE, but also reduces the satisfaction the B&G get from all of the guests complimenting them on how awesome the SDE was.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow!

Wow, are SDE so specialized that it actually requires flying in someone that knows how to do it? I thought it would have been easier to just hire a helping hand with that from someone in the area (Houston has a ton of photographers and videographers!!)
I guess im in over my head with this SDE.

Ill take note to show it as soon as possible, and hopefully the product looks good enough and doesnt deter potential/future clients.

One more question, are SDE mostly for the bride(&groom) or the audience?
Because if its for the bride, i know she is going to want it portray her good side and how good she looks in her dress.
If its mostly for the audience, i can just concentrate on 'documenting the wedding'.
As of now, i know i cant manage to do both on my first SDE.

Thanks again Mark
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Jack,

No, you do not have to fly in someone to do a SDE. This videographer has two teams, but he is the only one that does SDEs in his company and he was already booked. He has a reputation to uphold and it just wasn't worth the risk to him. In addition to that, he didn't pay our fee and travel, the client did. He told the client he was already booked for a SDE, so he told them he could fly us in, so they did.

SDEs are for the B&G, the family, guests, vendors and you. I say you because it's a great marketing tool. Don't feel like you have to create a masterpiece on your first SDE. We did our first one in 1998 when we didn't even know what they were.

We did our first NLE SDE in 2001. It was sandwhiched in the middle of a Love Story so we only had to fill 1:30 with wedding day footage. The next one was about 3:30. Over time they became a more highly polished production including VOers and reception footage but they started very simple.

If you can show only a minute and include their vows, especially if the Bride or Groom become emotional, it will be a win-win for everyone involved.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques