Wedding Tradeshow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Tradeshow

So I have decided to do a tradeshow...

This is my first so I want to be prepared. I'm bringing a computer with a 24inch screen for viewing clips, a bunch of contracts/ business cards and a price sheet that will have a "Book today and get this discount" kind of a special.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking a candy dish, maybe a draw for something (any ideas) maybe offer a pkg upgrade? I dunno? I want "WOW" without spending WOW $$!

Ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Major Player

I did the EXACT same thing you did for my first show and I learned a few things really fast!

Use a large screen TV. get it up high, and get their attention with that. I had a 27 inch and decided when I got there the day before to setup that I needed something waay bigger so I rented a 50 inch widescreen the next morning. Definitely got more attention. Realize that there are going to be a lot of people around and a lot of things trying to catch their attention. A small screen just won't do much for you.

I would discourage giving a discount for a 'book today'! I did this and had an issue immediately. First of all it makes your services not seem worth what you're charging and devalues them. but, that's not so much of a deal as the issue that I ran into. I had a bride come up to me that had booked 2 weeks earlier and wanted the discount because she had just booked and it wasn't fair. I said it was a one day only thing and that just didn't apply. She proceeded to bash us and say bad things about us and on and on for the next few weeks. All turned out well in the end but it was a huge hassle. I think most people will agree with me on this one. It seems like a good idea at first, but really isn't.

The wow for us is having a huge banner with out logo on it and a huge tv to get their attention. Those together cost me less than $100 each year. Of course once you get a banner made you can reuse it. Then once you get their attention, have the cards, price sheets, cases, etc for them to see. I always use brochures too and try to make them flashy. Most will just pick up your brochure and ask for prices and then head onto the next vendor. give them something that they'll remember and be able to pick out in the stack of material that they picked up all day.

Bottom line is to have a great product to show and let that sell for you. Take the money you would discount and the money you would give out for drawing and put those towards the big tv or banner or brochures and make yourself stand out. People like deals and winning something but some of those only work well if they actually book with you.

Hopefully this helps out and I'm just giving advice from my experience. We do pretty well at shows and hardly ever book any that day, but they will come afterwards and book! Good luck !!

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the great advice Matt!

Currently my plan was to use the 24 inch screen but maybe I'll consider getting something bigger. I also just ordered a banner so hopefully that will turn out nice.

I don't like hearing that no one booked the day of though! I was really hoping to generate some income! I may try to entice people with the "book today" deal anyway.

The good thing for me is that I found out that I will be the only videographer attending!!

We'll see what happens!
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Kelly,
Be prepared to not book any dates at the show, it very rarely happens, I would listen to Matt as well when it comes to putting up a discount fro booking today, it might come back to bite you in the end. Wedding shows are overwhelming to the brides when they have many vendors all vying for their one minute of time. Most go home and pour over the many brochures they pick up so I would make sure your brochures stand out. I would also got out and make sure your presentation sticks in their minds when they leave, remember that you might only have a few seconds to give your sales pitch, so make it count. When you book brides you should also make sure that you and them fit, don't take a wedding just cause you need the money because those are the ones that will cause you tons of grief in the end. I don't think you'll be able to qualify a customer in the literally seconds you have with them.

Best of luck

JB
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Just some general insights - trade shows generally are full of "lookie loos" (although we haven't done any of the local bride rodeos, other than to walk through and observe...). Signing a client in a tornado isn't the best plan - think about it from the client side... would you jump on a "one day deal" on a key vendor???

Put yourself in the client's shoes - what would draw you in, and how would you want to be approached while your head is swirling with cakes, flowers, limos, dresses, etc., etc...

Think about how you want to catch their eye and be memorable. You've got some advantage if you're the only video vendor. Cards, brochures, etc, should be pro enough to get read when they go home and dump the "goodie bag", not get lost in the jumble. If you can afford a demo DVD, and yours is good, that could be the most effective promo item, but you might want to ask for their contact info and date of the wedding in exchange?

A common trade show technique is to offer some giveaway or future incentive, in exchange for the contact information of the prospective client - that's THE MOST VALUABLE THING, see if you can find a way to get that contact info!!!! Then you can make a more professional, but still casual contact after the dust settles. You can "close" the deal without competing with the rest of the chaos, and that's probably wise...

You're there to "show the flag", make a good inpression in a very short space of time, and get followup info - set aside time to FOLLOW UP, and that's where you will likely land the clients if you're fairly personable.

ALSO... Get to know the other vendors if you can - networking can be a powerful side effect of trade shows, if approached the right way.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

One word: SEATING.

Provide comfortable, inward-facing seating aimed directly at your TV screen.

I was amazed by the set-up of a friend (DJ) I ran into at a recent show who erected curtains around his booth surrounding a trendy lounge set-up w/ several small couches facing a TV. Shows tend to be like a freeway at rush hour. Give brides a pit stop & they'll love you for it.

Walking by, brides will give you about 10 seconds to grab their attention. Seating will stretch that big time. If a conference-style table is provided, move it to the back of your booth & create a more intimate space without a seperation between you & the clients. Regardless, have your absolute best work - as in all your money shots - no longer than 2 minutes - edited together & running on a continuous loop.
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Gosh I have so much to learn!
These are all great tips everyone!

Thanks
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
You might also think about a "Wedding Show Discount"...a price that's X dollars off your regular price because they saw you at the show. Offer to give them ample time to think it over by holding the special price for X weeks after the show. Be sure to make it a price that you can live with.

Don't publish the special price, then only the folks you talked to at the show will know about it. It'll be a good way to judge how affective the show was for you, and a way to keep other customers from knowing the 'special' rate you gave to show contacts.

Just my thoughts...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques