carry-on case for video cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

carry-on case for video cameras

For those of you who shoots destination weddings, what carry-on case are you using to transport your video cams?

When flying to a gig, I'm thinking of picking a Panasonic HMC-150 and probably use one or two HV30s as B-Roll cams.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Major Player

The Kata CC-193 is the case I use for my DVC30. According to Kata it is regulation size for carry-on luggage. My DVC30 fits with plenty of room, so you might be able to fit all 3 of your cameras in.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ed, but I think I need something bigger. Preferably something just under the limit of the carry-on size.

I was able to find the Pelican 1510... which is a roller case and I "believe" it is the largest carry-on case from the Pelican line.

Has anyone used the Pelican 1510?
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Yen,

I have a Pelican 1510, but I like the Petrol PCPR-1 better. The Perol bag is great for around town or around the county and it fits in the over head storage on a plane.
I can keep my gear organized better in the Petrol bag, but if you must have a hard case, the Pelican 1510 is good.

You can read a review I did on the Petrol bag here.
EventDV.net: In the Field: Petrol PCPR-1 Camera Bag
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Mark: Thanks for the link.

You said the Petrol is a great back for shooting around town. However, I'm merely looking for a case that is large enough to hold a DVX-sized camera + 1 or 2 HV30s + batteries and chargers. I need this case to travel travel well on a plane and will transport well to the location. I don't really need for something that can accommodate around town shooting. With that said, how would you rate the 1510 for my needs?

I really look at the Petrol and Pelican 1510 to have different uses since the Petrol is much much smaller and more easily transportable than the Pelican.
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Yang,

In the article as well as my post to you I mentioned that the Petrol bag fits in the over head bin on airplanes. I have traveled with my Petol bag from Florida to California. The Petrol bag will easily hold the gear you have mentioned.

When I set the Petrol next to the Pelican, the Petrol looks a tad longer and a tad taller. The width is about the same. I'm sure you can look up the specs of each bag to get the dimensions online.

What I like about the Petrol over the Pelican is the ability to organize my gear with all of the different compartments, pockets and flaps. Then when I am at the shoot it is very easy to find the gear I am looking for.
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Mark, I'm comparing the interior dimension of these two bags..

7.1-15.7 x 9.8 x 9.0" (18-40 x 25 x 23 cm) (LxWxH) (petrol)

19.75 x 11 x 7.6" (50.17 x 27.94 x 19.3cm) (LxWxD) (pelican)

What does the variable 7.1-15.7 lengh indicate on the Petrol?

From the pics on your review, it looks like the bag is just wide enough for a DVX-sized camcorder.. is there more room behind the camera to store 1 or 2 more Canon HV30s?
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Yang,

The Petrol has two interior sections. One is is 7.1 and the other is 15.7. I use my Petrol with a Sony Z1. In the smaller secondary section, it is divided into three sections, but you can take the divider out if you want. In those three sections I store my Fisheye lens, NRG Varalight, two wireless kits and gaffers tape. You can easily put two HV30s in the smaller section and still have room for other things.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques