Any problems shooting at 1/60 shutter speed. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any problems shooting at 1/60 shutter speed.

I have shot two weddings so far and on each my settings were aperture 2.8 and 1/60sec for shutter speed. I used Canon GL2. I'm not too crazy about the quality. Some of the clips looked pixilated. I just don't know how to describe it. I'm wondering if it has to do with 1/60 shutter speed. So my question to you experts is this. Is 1/60 too slow? I wish I know how to upload video.
John Okafor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I used GL2's for filming weddings for years, and I would go as low as 1/30 if the light was bad. I didn't have any problems with pixelization.

However, I did have one GL2 that displayed some pixelization issues shortly after the warranty expired (of course). It wasn't a big deal, since I always used that camera for a wide-angle shot, and the pixelization was always worse when zoomed. So I never got it fixed.

I think it was an issue with the camera's chip or internal software, so maybe that's what you've run into. I tried to contact Canon once about it, but the lady kept talking about still camera stuff and couldn't seem to get it through her head that I was using a videocamera.
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Major Player

when i was shooting with a GL2 1/60th was my ideal shutter speed. Sometimes i had to crank it down to 1/30th to avoid bumping up the gain. You sure that your gain isn't up?
I know stupid question, but my first wedding i filmed i didn't check out the gain and it ended up looking really bad.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I'm glad to know that 1/60 shouldn't be an issue. I might have other issues going on. By the way gain was set at 12. I never go over 12.
John Okafor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

1/60 is a recommended shutter speed for general purposes for most of our prosumer and low end pro cams.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques