Who accepts Credit Card Payments? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Who accepts Credit Card Payments?

Just generally looking for feedback if it is a worthwhile investment to get credit card payment facility. We are pretty new (our 2nd year) bookings are pretty constant and we are planning next years strat

We tend to work with a few wedding planners and are constantly getting asked "Do you accept credit card" of which we reply not currently. Seems to be a real inconvenience for them. Any bad experiences, things to look out for before we take the next step???

Cheers
Darren
Darren Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #2
Major Player

The big problem I ran into with CC is that in ornder to get a processing gateway you basically end up paying a montly fee, and then a percentage. This means even if you do not use it you still end up paying some money. A bennifit of this is that if you do a lot of business, you will save money over companies like paypal that do not charge a monthly fee but rater a higher percentage. You also get to process the card on your website which gives a more professional look.

The other option is to use Paypal or Google Checkout type services.

I have used google checkout now for the last year. Their rates are currently lower than paypal. When I need to charge someone I use their Invoice tool which sends them an email for the requested ammount. They can then process it on the google page fairly quickly.

In the end you just have to do the math to see if you can afford it. One of the most common things I have seen is that when accepting the CC you add a processing fee. Some say its the cost of doing business and the seller should eat the fee. Others build it into the cost of the packages.

To give you an idea about fees, I recently did a transaction on google for about $2500 and the fee was about $49.
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Absolutely - here in UK, the Credit Card facilities offered by the banks to small businesses are oriented around a large number of small transactions (think "shop"), and NOT the small number of large transactions we do (think "wedding video"). Economically, it is, as a result, too expensive and a complete non-starter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques