Romance at weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 29th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Romance at weddings

I have been filming weddings for about 2 years now and not long ago finally got the hang of it properly and its getting easier by the job.

Lately i have been getting approached by more and more women at these weddings flirting and so on. i dont know if i was too focused on my work earlier on to notice but its happening alot more lately. I was once asked to stay to party on (i was supposed to finish after the waltz) by the bride and groom because the table i was sitting at had a few girls who took a liking to me and i couldnt be rude and refuse a request of the bride.

I was just wondering how other people in the situation handle this and if there are any interesting stories to be told.
Dany Badaoui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Major Player

I'd be professional about it Dany & politely turn it down. Oh did I tell you I usually work with my wife. LOL

I agree that's perks of the job. If you're single then by all means go for it.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Trustee

This doesn't happen to me... it happens to my wife when she's shooting with me. I never quite know how to handle fending off drunken groomsmen who are getting overly friendly with her. Been thinking about steel plating my cameras so I can start whacking guys over the head with them.

Did a wedding a couple months ago where the photographer was absolutely stunning. Really felt sorry for her at the reception. I counted no less than 3 groomsmen attempting to "dance" with her. That's gotta get old.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Major Player

I've never been pursued by a female guest at a wedding, but at the end of the night the bride, groom, or some member of the bridal party almost always says, "You're not going to stick around and party?"

It always makes me laugh inside. Granted, it's a special day to the bride and groom and I treat it as such when I'm working, but after spending 12 hours on my feet the idea of hanging around a wedding reception with 200 people I don't know comes a distant second to going home and relaxing in peace and quiet.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Trustee

There must be something wrong with me... I've been working weddings since 1982 (first as a DJ, then as a videographer,) been to nearly 1,000 weddings and I don't think I've ever been seriously "hit on".

I'm pretty sure it's because I wouldn't recognize the early signs of female interest, so I probably don't respond in a manner that encourages them to continue. In other words: when I'm working, I'm all business. Plus my wife of 23 years is all the "female interest" I can handle!
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Major Player

I just wear my wedding ring and act professional, and don't usually have any 'extra' female attention. I did get pinched one time - I was shooting the dance floor, and apparently it was a little too close to this one lady sitting there watching. Generally I don't have great flirting skills and don't want it anyway, so I don't have trouble with it.

I think it's good to have a healthy relationship with the wedding couple if you can, but I have to have some professional boundaries too, and I don't stay to party. Usually I have a two or three hour drive home and can't chance it, plus my wife would be looking for me.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have not had this happen to me yet.
Most women hate video cameras until they are drunk, and I'm usually long gone before
that stage of the evening.
However, If you are single, I don't see a problem with getting a phone number or 2
before leaving... or handing out your card to the woman hitting on you.
Just wait until the end of the evening, and then get the heck out of there.
M
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I've had this experience, but mostly it comes down to girls drinking too much alcohol. I just go about filming, but I'm also married, so there's no point in flirting back. As for staying to party, I'm usually there working 'til the party is done anyways, but in the rare cases where I leave early I just want to get home and kick up my tired feet and have a beer.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

in my career I've been hit perhaps 2 or 3 times but I always say "just because I'm on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu" ;-)

At my age and after almost 40 years of marriage I'm not sure I would know what to do if I was seriously hit on

O|O
\__/

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

This happen to me this past weekend, but the problem is she was around 40+ "high plus", really drunk, and married. husband was there too. I'm only 25 and married. Good thing I was by my self on this wedding, if not I will be on trouble with wife. She will make me stay on the party and drive away with my car. lol

I almost open a new thread with this problem. What I did was staying away from her, as a professional. I don't need more trouble. lol
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Major Player

I forgot - one time I was shooting for an alcohol promotion at a bar, and there was this one set of girls that I took photos of, and they got ticked off for some reason and started punching me. So I guess it goes both ways (-:
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

No one's said it yet, so I will. . .

Most of the posters who say they've gotten hit on were married, the ones who haven't seemed to be mostly single. It's like the way cats like people with cat allergies.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Badaoui View Post
Lately i have been getting approached by more and more women at these weddings flirting and so on.
That happens to me all the time, you"ll get used to that. I was even thinking about offering myself as a premium package on my site so I finally get paid for what I'm worth. :-)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I had the bride's sister wanting me to come sit with her, etc. The alcohol usually means their attention span isn't too hot either though.

Quote:
just because I'm on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu
Kind of reminds me of "It doesn't matter where you get your appetite, as long as you eat at home."

T
Tim Gilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #15
Regular Crew

i have a few mothers and aunts sussing me out for their daughters and nieces.

im 29 years old and single so i enjoy it all as much as i can.
Dany Badaoui is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques