Do you guys use printer to put images on the DVD's? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #16
Major Player

re

this is what i use, pretty cool devise but dam expensive

CD & DVD Label Printing, CD/DVD Printer | DYMO DiscPainter
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Oliver View Post
can someone tell me who owns the cannon if the disc prints are likes ones u get form blockbuster????
Disks from the major studios use a completely different printing process that's akin to silk screening. There's really no way you're going to get the same results from an ink jet printer. Thermal printers might get closer but I've not seen any of those.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:

I saw a thread on this board at one time in the past... It's damn cool. Wish it was in my budget. How long does the ink last?
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:

My concern is the cost per disk for ink. The website doesn't seem to provide any info, except the cost of the cartridge...$39. Any idea how many disks you get per cartridge?

Is a continuous ink supply available?
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Major Player

re

i usually get around 100 disc prints per cartridge. it uses only few colors so blacks are not jet black but black enough for me and other colors seems vibrant. its fast and so so so so easy to use. And its good fun to watch. Ocasionally u get round circles ( very very faint ) where the ink has printed but these can be be deducted by trying various discs and various settings ie matte or glossy or color disc. quality is good but im keen to see what this cannon pixma is like. And only one disc at a time but i only ever print 8 per wedding max.

Other than that it was a good purchase cause of its ease of use although i do think a little over priced.

Neat little product and perfect for a new business like mine

luke
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
can someone tell me who owns the cannon if the disc prints are likes ones u get form blockbuster????
Don't be silly! They're screen-printed!

I use my Canon PIXMA Pro9000 for disc printing but I do it from Linux using alternative drivers because the Canon (made for windows only) drivers stink for disc printing The alignment process is a pain in the *ss and trying to print multiples is a nightmare. The one issue I have with it is that it won't print right to the hole. Otherwise, the actual print quality is astounding (as you would expect from a printer of this calibre - and price!)
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I use the Primera BravoPro Autoprinter: BravoPro AutoPrinter CD/DVD Printing System by Primera

Around $1500, prints up to 100 copies more or less unattended. I use Taiyo Yuden hub printable media-- very reliable and cheap! About 33 cents a piece in quantities of 600 or more.

Negatives: Color ink cartridges are EXPENSIVE (around $40 a piece) and depending on the coverage area you are printing, you will average around 100 or so full color discs per cartridge (YMMV). I have found ways to squeeze the life out of them.
Jerry Wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #23
Major Player

But there's a US catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
YouTube - iP5200 disc printing

Isnt it printing directly on the disc?
Reading through the comments left on this youtube video, apparently only non-US canon printers of this model come from the factory with this option. You've got to hack it a little, and use EU drivers to get this function in the US, and purchase the tray seperately.

page 3 of the comments:
"In the USA there is a patent problem so they had to remove DVD printing from printers to comply with US Law. however by editing the firmware and getting a 3rd party tray US citizens can enjoy DVD printing :D"
and
"Cant wait to try this, Im in the US so I have to wait for my cd tray to come from ebay.
ITs really easy to "hack your printer"

YOu just have to change it from US to Europe,
reinstall the drives(installing the Europe drivers)
and take off the plastic cover"
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #24
Inner Circle

WELL, that explains why they didn't promote it... I THOUGHT that they would have at least mentioned it.

If you've got to jump through that many hoops to get it to print CD/DVD, sounds to me like getting a printer that's ready to go out of the box would be a better option.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Currently, no printing method will get you those kinds of results. However, you can get close with Taiyo Yuden Watershield disks. They have a very nice glossy look to them, but are about twice the price of standard printable DVDs.

I use a Disc Makers ElitePro2 duplicator for duplicating and printing my disks.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I have used the R200 with great results, probably put through 1000 or so DVD's through that printer. I now use the Epson RX680, with about 600 discs through this one with great results as well. The RX680 is an all in one as well, printer, scanner.

Last edited by Josh Swan; January 9th, 2009 at 07:42 AM.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #27
Trustee

OK. Finally got around to getting an image to upload. The final result on the Verbatim hub printable media is very faithful to the original "art". Color, contrast and resolution are quite good. I'm not all that caught up in glossy finishes to the matte look is OK with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you guys use printer to put images on the DVD's?-ops019-disk-2-dvd-label-sample.jpg  
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:06 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houchins II View Post
Reading through the comments left on this youtube video, apparently only non-US canon printers of this model come from the factory with this option. You've got to hack it a little, and use EU drivers to get this function in the US, and purchase the tray seperately.
Realize bringing up an old topic here but wanted to comment because recently I picked up a Canon Pixma MX850. This model, once hacked, can print to CD/DVD's (please note the newer version MX950 CAN'T print to CD's/DVD's). Plus ink cost are higher (smaller cartridges) the MX850 is an all around better printer. I do believe Consumer Reports rated it the best in class.

I managed to buy the last one from BB, new in the box. I bought a dvd tray off ebay, then followed online instructions and walla, i'm printing beautiful images onto DVD's!

This printer is amazing and highly recommend. Although the Label making software sucks, I was wondering what other people use for Software - photoshop ? Does anyone have a template ?
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I use the IP5200 and it prints great images on disk or photos and its fairly quick for this particular price point. Like all printers though the results vary dependent upon what your printing on (disk surface makes a huge difference). Ive had no driver problems and set templates up to print right up to the spindle - full face.

Steve
Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I use Epson printer with CISS ink system so the printing cost is cheap. Also print to TY watershield DVDs

Amazon.com: Taiyo Yuden WaterShield - 50 x DVD-R - 4.7 GB 16x - white - ink jet printable surface - spindle - storage media: Electronics

They are glossy and the output is really amazing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques