Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio

I've been following some threads about voice recorders being used in conjunction with a few mics on some wedding shoots. Is this what you guys are talking about:

Sandisk Sansa c250 2GB MP3 Player, On the fly FM and voice recording, MicroSD slot -Recertified - Sansa c250 - Buy.com

If so, that's dirt cheap!
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
New Boot

I wonder what the voice recorder specs are on that unit. I understand it's refurbished... but in today's age that could mean the item was bought as a gift and the recipient didn't like the color or the size. The biggest problem I have with it... no mic inputs. If the internal mic does a good job then it's worth the super low price... otherwise I would have no use for it.
Scott Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3
New Boot

While the thread is new... what would be recommended as a semi-inexpensive voice recorder that includes mic inputs?
Scott Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

H2

I don't know how cheap you are looking to go, but there is always the zoom H2. Sounds like a great little unit. I have never used one, but have heard a lot of chatter around here about it.

Zoom*H2*::*Portable*Recorders*::...
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The Zoom H2 is great and it's inbuild mics make it great for standing on a table for speeches/standing in front of a speaker/plugging into a desk etc but it's a little bulky in a pocket, especially when coupled with a lapel mic cable etc.

I still use the Zoom but now use these Olympus voice recorders for about £50 - they are small and record really good quality

Olympus WS-311M Digital Voice Recorder: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have both the Olympus WS-321 (same as the 311, just with 1g memory. 512 mb is more than you will ever use) and the Zoom H2. The Zoom is better, but much more expensive and much larger. For mic'ing people like the officiant, the Olympus is much easier.

Check out this thread if you haven't already, there's a few recorders and mic's mentioned:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...s-ds-30-a.html
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a zoom H4 for backupsound. Hit record and gaffa it somwhere near whoever is about to speak (somwhere altarish for a wedding). Also my mixing-table tapper when I'm not plugged directly from cam. If everything else fails I always have something :D
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Major Player

I use the Edirol R-09. Fantastic bit of kit.

"Edirol R-09 WAVE/MP3 Recorder, Black": Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Stick a card in there, press play and ecord beautiful sound. I place it near the vicar or where the readings are being made, and on the top table during the speeches. Far better than a shotgun.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Major Player

re

Steve can u please explain if not too much bother your set up with this voice recorder. For example how would i use it for recording the vows, Do u need clip on mics and how to do get it into post???

luke

ive got 250 pound to spend on a microphone system for weddings and want the best one for that price. Im guessing the g2 which i was looking at picks up to much reception form phones and stuff ????
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Trustee

I have used a sony minidisc recorder several times. I didn't like the constant hassle of the levels never being quite right (either blowing out, or too quiet) so I bought an Audio-Technica 1800 dual UHF system. Sooo much better. :-) but significantly more expensive.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques