Captioning: Legal Deposition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Captioning: Legal Deposition

Is a videographer expected to caption the entire deposition word for word- using the court reporter's text? What does captioning refer to? Texting who is is who and where is where?

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You need to find a service that does this. And for legal proceedings, it needs to be done by a person certified to do it. Charge the client(s) for this service.

Start here:

Welcome to the National Court Reporters Association

Captioning is essentially, putting a word for word copy of what was said onto the screen. Basically, capturing the stenographers output onto your video.
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been doing depositions for years and have never heard of this. Is this just a query or have you gotten a request for this?

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Haensler View Post
I've been doing depositions for years and have never heard of this. Is this just a query or have you gotten a request for this?

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Federal rule 508, regarding accessability. If you haven't heard of it, you soon will. It's affecting nearly everything I do. Every video I produce for work now has to be captioned. With current national rates sitting between 7 and 12 dollars per MINUTE, you can imagine how that's affecting us in this economy.
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Section 508 applies to federal agencies and some states may have similar initiatives.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Inner Circle

This may be helpful:

GTRI | ELSYS | Human Systems Engineering Branch | Overview of State Accessibility Laws, Policies, Standards and Other Resources Available On-line

I sit on the 508 committee for my agency as an IT representative and because my work also includes video, I have a fairly regular interaction with 508, captioning (open and closed), etc.

It's a broad issue that will affect many of us in video at some point.
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you already have a transcript, this site will create a caption file that conforms the text to the video. Section 508 does not in itself require legally defensible captions. Many deaf or low hearing individuals would rather NOT have all the "um's" and "ah's" left in.

The cost is around $80/finished hour of captions and they can give you multiple output file types (WMV, QT, Flash, DVD) for the one charge. If you need transcriptions too, AutomaticSync partners with companies that will do that seamlessly as part of the service (this extra cost brings it up to around $170/hour). They can also send a text file for proofing/changes before the caption job occurs.

Welcome to CaptionSync!
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques