Converting from 16.9(DV) to 4.3(DV) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 14th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting from 16.9(DV) to 4.3(DV)

last week i shot a wedding with 4 cameras all were working DVCAM cause the 3 camcorders were PD170 but 1 of them was Z7 and shooting DVCAM but the problem is he was shooting 16.9, is there a way i can convert it to 4.3 by EDGE CROPING or something. i must convert it cause the other CAMS are all 4.3
i need help please
Thank you
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Don't know which NLE you use, but it's simple in Vegas - you just do a pan/crop - you can keyframe it so you can move the pan/edge crop back and forth as needed, just like they do when they make the 4:3 versions of big time movies. You can render the file out or just use the clips with the crop applied on the timeline.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I would consider putting a black bar letterbox mask on the project so that you essentially create a 16:9 look in the SD footage. Then, just fit the true 16:9 footage into the project with the other footage and it should look fine. Hope that makes sense.

::EDIT:: post this right after Dave. His idea is good too. I just like to avoid zooming or stretching SD footage.
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I was presuming a 4:3 final product, as trying to crop the 4:3 to 16:9 would likely lose too much resolution. You can effectively crop the z7 about 50% in each direction and it still should look as good as the PD170 output at 4:3. Doing a pan/crop (what the heck is the "Hollywood" term for when they do that??) should work perfectly!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dave, I misread the OP. I thought he was delivering in 16:9. Disregard my earlier post.
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys im using Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and i want to deliver 4.3 from 16.9 so if theres no quality loss i prefer to fix the 16.9 rather than giving the look 16.9 for the all video
so if anyone knows how to do it can u be little more specific about the crop and zoom
thanks again guys

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques