Conversation during shoot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Conversation during shoot?

Does anyone here converse with their other shooters during the ceremony? For example, something goes unaccording to the plan, and you need cam1 to become your tight while cam2 drops to wide. Too bad they're all the way across the church and you can't tell them. Do you have headsets to send direction? Anyone? Does it ever interfere with the wireless mics?

I've used my phone/bluetooth combo with a friend before, but I'm sure there's a better way.
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Major Player

I dont know the answer to your question. But i liked the "hand gun" video. Pretty good idea.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Alex,
I've been using the eartec wireless systems for over a year now and can't imagine going without them. Any form of communication is a huge help. Half of the weddings I shoot with my wife and we usually know what each other is doing, but the other half are with other assistants and I need to be communicating with them. It makes shooting easier and editing easier because i have the variety of shots that I need. IMO It's not only good for those unexpected moments, but helps tremendously with making the most out of all the shots you are getting.

I've used two way radios too and they work as well but the eartec are simply easier and completely hands free. Either way , its a great advantage to have that communication! I've never had any problems with interference of my own wireless mics or any others. You can always change the frequencies on any decent radio or the eartec systems.

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Here's a little more on this topic -

Radio communication device - The Digital Video Information Network
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #5
Major Player

For every two camera shoot I have ever done we have worked out a series of hand signals that are used to indicate tape change, get the speaker, I'm relocating, etc. That has always worked fine for me, but I would still welcome some sort of wireless headset system for this purpose.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bishop View Post
thanks, don't know how i missed that
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle View Post
Does anyone here converse with their other shooters during the ceremony? For example, something goes unaccording to the plan, and you need cam1 to become your tight while cam2 drops to wide. Too bad they're all the way across the church and you can't tell them. Do you have headsets to send direction? Anyone? Does it ever interfere with the wireless mics?

I've used my phone/bluetooth combo with a friend before, but I'm sure there's a better way.
I purchased 4 of the best GMRS radios I coudl get. Cost me nearly $400, but I have used 3 at a time and the work fantastically for getting in touch with shooters.... as long as teh other shooter isnt'; standing 5' from the pipe organ. :-)

Granted, environment noise filters in quite a bit (unlike what I assume happens with a beefy Eartech setup). But to cover 4 shooters and have great range, there isn't anything better (IMO).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques