About your package names... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM   #16
Trustee

Here in Hawaii, flowers are quite common in Hawaiian:
Pikake
Ilima
Mokihana
Lehua
Lokelani

or exotic English names:
Orchid
Anthurium
Jasmine
Jade
Plumeria
Hibiscus
Tuberose
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM   #17
Major Player

I lol'd at the thread title.
Sorry :)
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:24 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I lol'd at the thread title.
Sorry :)
I just got that - nothing wrong with a warped sense of humour!

It's interesting to note that most stick with 3 alternatives - traditional sales training emphasises the idea of 3 alternatives - the majority of customers will take the middle option (I'm not rich so I'll skip the top one but I'm not poor so I'll avoid the bottom one)

I like the idea of 3 main options and a selection of 'extras'
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #19
Major Player

this is a fun thread... I had some laughs.
Santo, great idea for package names. I only have one option "the I'm not a good salesman so I'll just let you know what I'll give you for this price.... package"
Disadvantage of being smalltime I guess.
Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM   #20
Major Player

just left the precious metal group- now have the following

documentary
highlights
cinematic

it seems ot work better describing what is included and the similarities and differences of each package.

i tried to move away from packages but have not been successful.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM   #21
Major Player

I recently had someone who sells a lot of wedding photography tell me that as soon as couples hear "documentary" they want it. So never use the term "documentary" in any package that you are trying to steer them away from. Is it the same for video? I don't know. But the term seems to be a big selling point for a lot of people so I'm guessing that in a lot of cases the theory is accurate.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
I only have one option "the I'm not a good salesman so I'll just let you know what I'll give you for this price.... package"
Disadvantage of being smalltime I guess.
Who let him on! - I thought we only had bigtime important people here?

I'm about to edit my 2nd wedding and I've yet to do a paid job - how's that for small time!
anyway - the term 'smalltime' was replaced years ago - you're a boutique production house

I'm a crusty old bugger so you'll forgive me if I pick on you a bit.

"I'm not a good salesman"
do you think your work has value? do you think you do a good job? do you enjoy the work?
if you have enthusiasm for your work and your product, you can be a good salesman, if fact you can't help it. People who enjoy what they do have an attitude that infects others. If you believe in your work - you can sell it.

The concept of packages is just a way of 'packaging' our product - we really only have one. It's just easier for people to accept, understand & choose from a number of alternatives - and 3 is supposedly the ideal.

If a client came to you and said they had $5,000 and wanted an upside down, film noir style wedding coverage, you wouldn't say - 'sorry that's not a package we offer"

people will perceive you as more professional if you have a documented offering (that can be just a list of packages on a fancy bit of paper and a written contract)

I'm only a rank beginner but from day one I'll present myself as a consummate professional because that's what I aim to be.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post

"I'm not a good salesman"
do you think your work has value? do you think you do a good job? do you enjoy the work?
if you have enthusiasm for your work and your product, you can be a good salesman, if fact you can't help it. People who enjoy what they do have an attitude that infects others. If you believe in your work - you can sell it.
Paul... I'm extremely passionate about what I do. Thats why I'm on this forum board a million times a day striving to be like the rest of the members.

I decided not to go with packages only because I want my clients video to be the best that I can possibly provide them. I want to shoot bridal prep and save the dates and all the works.... One way to ensure that I get the opportunity is to include it for everyone that I book. Keeps me happy.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post

I decided not to go with packages only because I want my clients video to be the best that I can possibly provide them. I want to shoot bridal prep and save the dates and all the works.... One way to ensure that I get the opportunity is to include it for everyone that I book. Keeps me happy.

Steve

who's not a good salesman? - that's a great pitch in itself! - I think I'm going to steal that one!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques