Recital/Stage Show quote at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Tourist

Recital/Stage Show quote

I was recently contacted by a client about shooting a preschool production for a local community center. They will be selling DVDs to parents of the children in the production. What should I suggest as a possible quote for 45 minutes of shooting with minimal editing? Should I suggest taking a percentage of the DVD sales or should I charge flat fee? Any advice would be appreciated.
Chris Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Did they approach you as an individual or company?

It's always nice if you have a company and if you use that as a proposal. Nevertheless, don't go for % of sales. However, when you give your quote, add in the potential sales factor. So if you going to charge them $1000 for full from production to post, add couple of hundred dollars to it.

Just my two cents.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Major Player

I second that. its not worth going % with this kind of jobs. you just want to get your money and say see you later. But what you can probably do, is to offer them duplication service as a package deal. Obviously, you can outsource the duplication if you want.

my 2 cents.
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Major Player

The first thing I would ask is whether or not they are going to allow parents to bring camcorders to the production and how strictly they plan to enforce it.

I have done some of these and was lucky if they sold 25 DVDs. Also ask if they have done these in the past and who did it. Then contact them.
You may find that they have to look for someone new every year because they couldn't get a videographer to come back for a second year in a row.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

We do quite a few of these each year, dance recitals for the most part.

We have come up with a pricing scheme as follows:

- No charge to the dance school.
- 3 packages (dependant on no of cams (3, 4 or 5)
- Each package has a min qty of dvds to be ordered
- Each package has a different DVD single unit price
- If the min number is not met a fee to the dance school.

We also offer pre-order forms (and now an online pre-ordering system) that is so important... knowing how many you expect well before hand is good for both you and the dance school (company hiring you)

Example: Package 2 = Min 50 DVDs, £15.99 price

THe dance schools love the fact they can choose the minimum order qty and ensure that they dont get hit with any costs by the pre-ordering method. If they are running under minimum, they can push sales...

Took us a while to learn this method (a painful lesson by the way) so hope it can help anyone else starting in this area of event filming

Another good selling point, let the dance school put a small mark up on the price of each disc...they actually make money out of it (of course they all say they use this to go towards the cost of putting on the production)
Vince Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques