How are your wedding bookings going? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Major Player

How are your wedding bookings going?

This type of thread came up a while ago and I thought I would ask the question again for an update. How are your wedding bookings doing?

I think the recession has sapped the funds of my older and generally higher event revenue clients. Activity has certainly slowed at this point.

What are you guys seeing?
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
This type of thread came up a while ago and I thought I would ask the question again for an update. How are your wedding bookings doing?

I think the recession has sapped the funds of my older and generally higher event revenue clients. Activity has certainly slowed at this point.

What are you guys seeing?
I'm seeing a lot more bargaining attempts and people waiting to book. I'm booked solid from May through October, but I have more jobs at a lower average than last year. I made an attempt to structure the packages so the hourly wage is the same, i.e. less of an investment but also less total hours involved on my end.

Last edited by Joel Peregrine; April 28th, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Since I'm doing videography part time I only planned to do 3 weddings this year but as things would happen - I got 2 more requests for this year. So I guess I can't complain.
On the flip-side of things -
I'm actually getting more requests to re-edit wedding videos taken by family or friends to remove bad cuts, abrupt stops and starts, random shots of the ground and shakes.
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Things started slow for us, but it eventually picked-up. I find that couples tend to book last minute this season, 3 weeks ago May was empty, now I have 3 Weddings for May, hopefully the trend continues for June as I am zero that month. Fingers crossed.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Jeff
Business has been down this year for me. 26 for 2007, 21 for 2008. I'm hoping to hit 15 and am at 9 so far. May is the only booked month with the rest of the months only with 1 or 2 jobs. Definitely a slow year for me.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This will be my first year as a wedding videographer as a part time gig, and I was realistically thinking I would only get a couple of bookings. Not really getting my hopes up, but not being pessimistic either.

I've got 2 signed and 3 more to sign soon, and it's early in the year. I'm surprised actually because my 1st video is just now getting around and I'm relatively unknown. Getting excited.
Brad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Trustee

I have 5 deposits, two fully paid, and two on the line that I'm hoping to book. The problem is that this is the same amount as I had last year and this year I'm full time (instead of relying on a nice $50k / software development job to pay the mortgage).

As far as number of bookings, I'm about the same as last year. I barely raised my prices this year (mostly just some adjustments).

It is not looking like I'll be sustainable with a max income of $6-8k for the year. :-(

Fortunately, I spent all last year's income to purchase equipment, so now I have very little new equipment needs (probably none are essential). Especially since there is no way I'm jumping to HD this year (or next year). So all receipts will go towards the mortgage. The down side is I'll actually show a profit this year and have to toss away 30% in taxes and waste dozens of hours trying to figure out how to issue a W2 to myself and do all the federal & state with holdings.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

wedding bookings

We are booked solid through the year and 1/2 year for 2010. We are busy than ever, with no down turn at all. We have actually raised our prices. If you keep lowering your prices thats what your clients expect. Keep your price where they are. Work on your sales techniques. Remember sales and Marketing are not the same.

Tipp Hill Photo/Video
Walt Paluch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques