Projector for SDE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Projector for SDE

Hey Folks, Just wondering what type of projectors people are using to show their "SDE's"
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think you need to specify more about your question.

Are you showing in SD or HD. And if your showing in HD. 720 or 1080. There is a significant price difference between the two.

I currently use Epson's PowerLite Home Cinema 720 Projector.
It's one of the cheaper 720 projectors. But I do have a problem carrying that things around. It is NOT the smallest projector.

They definitely make smaller HD projectors now, but they are not cheap. Then you have to carry an extra bulb with you too. The last thing you want is showing movies and your bulb goes out.

Anthony
Anthony Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Major Player

I also would like to know about this..

I have done some research and I found that the two most important things to consider are the contrast ration and brightness lumens. is this correct?

How much are we looking at to buy a decent SD projector? or are we better of just buying the HD ready straight away?

Santo
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post
I also would like to know about this..

I have done some research and I found that the two most important things to consider are the contrast ration and brightness lumens. is this correct?

How much are we looking at to buy a decent SD projector? or are we better of just buying the HD ready straight away?

Santo
I honestly think HD is the way to go, but your looking at at least USD1000 upwards to USD2000. And no one is saying "We should go back to SD instead of HD."

You do have to consider your contrast ratio and the lumens it can produce. If you project in a room that is a bit brighter, your darks will look bad and all your details will be lost.

This is a great website for more projectors:
Projectors, Projector Reviews, LCD Projectors, Home Theater DLP Projectors at ProjectorCentral.com

Anthony
Anthony Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sorry I assumed everyone is shooting HD now so basically all I wanted was to know what types of projectors people were using. I will know the SD the shooters from their projectors they are using.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason LeFrense View Post
Sorry I assumed everyone is shooting HD now ...
heh... yeah, some of us have a client base that is still 10yrs behind the tech curve. :-/
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Major Player

It is also important to note that most venues still use projection screens with the 4:3 format, so if you are planning to project HD, you must make sure the screen can accomodate the 16:9 format.

If you can control lighting (ie. you can dim the lights, etc), even a 2000 Lumen projector can do the work. DLP gives truer color than LCD projectors but they are quite expensive, but for weddings LCD would do just fine.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques