Help with Sony Anycast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 6th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with Sony Anycast

Hi Folks,

I have a job starting on monday using a Sony Anycast. Having never used one before, I was wondering if anyone had any experience on the product?

Basically It is a 3 camera setup which I plan on recording using the SDI outs, and then edit later - not live.

What could I record onto? Are there any kind of HD recorders that I could hire to record the three feeds and then edit on final cut later?

Also, if anyone has a link to download a PDF manual for the DV version of the Anycast that would be helpful!

Cheers,

J
James Collinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Trustee

If you're editing later, why not record straight to tape/card or use Firestore type devices on each camera? I'm sure you've got a reason for running the signals through the Anycast, but pulling video off the cameras before it gets to the Anycast might be easier and cheaper. If you're switching live you might want one recorder pulling that footage too.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Ethan,

Well there are no tapes, the cameras are hard wired remote controlled B4 style units in a theatre, that run through the Anycast. The venue said I can use the SDI outs to record into my own capture device... I am trying to acertain how best to do that!

Jim
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Trustee

I figured you had a good reason for doing it this way. Now we know.

Ok, so Panasonic makes some P2 recorders that might do the job. I don't know the UK version, but over here they're called the AG-HPG20. You'd need 3 or 4 of these and a gaggle of P2 cards, but if you're renting and have a decent budget these might be the way to go. There's a larger version that holds more cards but I can't seem to figure out if it has SDI inputs.

The Nnovia QC A2D has component and composite inputs if you can figure out a way to go that route from the Anycast. Might be cheaper than the Panasonic route.

**EDIT** Nnovia only has composite and s-video. my bad

How long is this thing you're recording?

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi,

It will be around 1 hour 30.

And no we don't have a massive budget! So hiring 3x P2 recorders plus cards does sound expensive!

Hmm... can you record simultaneous feeds straight to a Mac do you think?

Jim
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm not sure about multiple feeds into a mac. Someone else might be able to help with that. It does help your cause that you're dealing with SD and not HD but I don't know specifics of the capture cards.

If you're wanting a solid recording option, maybe think about renting some older DV or DVCPro decks with SDI inputs on them. It's not as new or flashy as digital recorders but it might be cheap and solid enough to work for you. What's running the price up on you is the fact that you're using SDI. SDI has always come at a premium.

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ah! Just found out that I can record 4 simultaneous DV streams from the Anycast onto two firewire drives! Brilliant!

Just need to find out how they are formatted... Linux I think.

Still could really do with a manual for it though - not available anwhere on the Sony site. Anyone have a PDF manual?

Jim
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Trustee

Found it here:

Sony Product Detail Page - AWSG500HD

Look under the Resources tab.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques