dSLR for weddings question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Major Player

dSLR for weddings question

I have a canon XH-A1 and I just bought a canon 5d Mark II.. I was wondering if you guys thought a Canon T1i would be a good camera to have as a secondary camera to the 5d, in that although its not as good, still has some of the same functions. So if I have a f/4 on the 5d, and a f1.8 on the t1i I might get similar dof as well as low light ability. I would also have the A1 going at all times mostly for audio purposes as well as some cut away shots.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Major Player

the T1i can only do 20frame/second, so no not a good match.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Major Player

it can do 30 at 720P.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah but your XH-A1 and 5D don't do 720P, you will have to downrez them so it is not a good match, but go right ahead and get it if you think so.
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

720 is all I deliver in any way... so I am more looking for the capability of the camera not the resolution output.. but thanks for letting me know...

anybody else have any suggestions on the topic at hand?
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have used this combo, they match perfectly.

You don't necessarily even need the f1.8 lens to get good DOF or low light performance out of the 500d. I think some people turn their noses up at the 500d/t1i because the have never actually used it and seen it's capabilities.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

About the T1i, playing with it (since its the first consumer dslr i have ever used), i dont like the layout and the fact that there isnt manual control (5d owner).

The footage and colours matches fine (i also output at 720) w/ xh-a1, 5d, and hv30 (all w/ some minor CC).

I say since its so cheap, buy one. Im waiting to get another 5d soon and hopefully the 60d.

The layout and no audio input was enough for me not to get it.
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Major Player

thanks for the responses. I am not worried about audio since I will be shooting with other cameras that can get the audio so thats not a down side to me. I am sure I can trick the camera into shooting wide open when I am in catering halls and want low light capability. As long as the color matches and I have a good amount of DOF ability, then I am thinking I will get this camera as a secondary dslr camera.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques