Quick advice for wedding setup. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 24th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick advice for wedding setup.

Weddin's on April 9th, I was volunteered to video tape a wedding. All I have is the wide angle lens and a DVRigPro. I've done weddings before but this time I wanna go the whole 9 yards.

Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Crisp and clear audio is the key. There are many different ways to achieve this, depending on your set up, settings, etc. Something to keep in mind.

Alex B
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

If you have enough funds- invest in an iRiver 790 (and lapel mic) and place it on the minister/priest. The investment should be under $150 and will allow you to get audio aquistion of the vows and minister/priest.

Also be weary of using a shoulder mount stabilizer for an entire ceremony. It will be difficult to get tight shots (especially with the fantastic 20x zoom of the GL-2) with perfect stabilization. A tripod is a much better choice.

Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What type of lapel mic should I get? Also, this iRiver 790, it's an MP3 player? I guess it records as well?
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Still Motion

Glenn,

I'm interested to hear your reasoning on placing the iRiver on the priest to recorder the audio fo the vows.

We use a couple iRivers, but to be quiet honest, I'm still a little nervous about only using an iRiver for vows so I often just our wireless system. Even in that case, I have always placed it on the groom, thinking that the priest often talks significantly louder so more distance from the mic would be a good thing to achience a good balance of audio from the thee people.

I would really like to know what you think. As well, for the minister, bride and groom, what is your intended audio setup?

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #6
Major Player

iRivers are cool. My 1GB model records over 6.5 hours in 44.384 stereo. I suggest you buy as much memory in it as you can afford, you will want it later. The lapel mic is a good choice for this project, but here is another setup I have been experimenting with. With 6.5 hours. I just turn it on at the beginning of an event, and sync it once in a while to my camera.

The user interface is odd, so buy it with enough time to play with it a bit and probably will have to read the manual as well. I understand it now, but it was one of the harder things I have had to learn how to use (Because I had to read manual).

And whatever you do, make sure you LOCK the iRiver when you set it to recording mode. It shuts off very easily otherwise. Make sure you LOCK it. Make sure you LOCK i t. And besides that, make sure you LOCK it.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Patrick Moreau : Glenn,

I'm interested to hear your reasoning on placing the iRiver on the priest to recorder the audio fo the vows.

Thanks

Patrick -->>>

Patrick, I use 3 iRivers and a UWP-C1 wireless system. Wireless goes on the groom, iRiver on the priest, iRiver on podium for readers, and another iRiver near soloist and/or harpist.

The lapel mic I've been using is an Azden. Don't know the model # off hand but if you search B&H under Lapel Mics> Azden it's the cheapest one ($15).
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Major Player

The mic Glen was refering to was the Azden 503...I would recommend it for out events as it has a pretty good windscreen. However, I would recommend the AT830 lapel mic as it has a broder zone of acceptance.....

Here is a clip of the two mics:
http://easylink.playstream.com/foley...ns/mictest.wax

Here is a link to the Azden 503:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=89741&is=REG

Here is a link to the AT MT830 lav:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...source=froogle
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques