Sworn off wedding Videographers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Go Canucks!
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #17
Major Player

What gets me is these people that hire the lowest priced Videographer for weddings or other work and expect top quality.

Do you expect a top notch paint job when you send your car to Maaco? (where they often spray paint right over the dirt).

What they are often really saying is, I hired a cheap ass video guy and the works sucks, so rather than admit I am an idiot for paying some guy way way way below what it should have cost and has no demo reel nor referrals, etc, I will blame it on the entire video industry.

These are often the same people that were borderline deciding to get their Uncle Bob to shoot it with a handycam, but thought they'd pay this kid in ripped jeans to a hundred bucks to shoot it instead and somehow expected to see a cinemagraphic masterpiece.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Denny

We also seem to have a problem down here that brides consider the photographer way more important than the videographer!! "My photos are costing me $4000..can you do a video of the whole wedding for under $500??" Yeah right!!!!

If I get any bride trying to haggle the price I simply say no...my price is what I'm worth and it's more than likely if you did do a cut-price job, she would expect top quality too!! If you can't afford a professional then ask Uncle Bob to shoot it for you!!

The biggest issue also is the first year student who is taking a 'video production course' at the local college and will shoot weddings for a few hundred bucks to gain experience and often brides will grab the opportunity then regret it later!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #19
Major Player

Waaco Weddings. Fast cheap wedding video for under a hundred bucks!

We supply one half sober, slightly soiled, camera operator with a 6 year old handy cam and a flashlight mounted on top. If you can mind the smell, he'll shoot your video real close up from right beside the wedding officiant.

After the wedding our team of unpaid students from our outrageously priced private video school will work feverishly to knock off a quick edit before exams are done. (Don't worry, we only let the C or better student work on your video. The rest work as lackeys.)

Wacco Weddings. For when "cheap" just ain't cheap enough!
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lajeunesse View Post
but thought they'd pay this kid in ripped jeans to a hundred bucks to shoot it instead and somehow expected to see a cinemagraphic masterpiece.
Er... isn't that the uniform for master cinematographers..... ? ;)

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques