Token Camera Stabilizer Thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 26th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Token Camera Stabilizer Thread

I've tried to do as much homework as I could from previous threads before posting, but I still have a few questions about camera stabilization. I'll be using this with my Canon HV40. Keep in mind my low budget ($500).

1) There's quite a price difference between the Glidecam 2000 Pro and the HD2000. Does an improved gimbal and adjustment system really effect the overall performance by that much? Even if it did, I'm having a hard time finding one (BHPhotoVideo and others are all on back-order currently).

2) It sounds like the Body Pod may not be the best bang for my buck, as it makes gliding more difficult. Is this accurate?

3) I'm looking at the Glidecam Forearm Brace, but I've heard a lot of feedback that it lacks breath-ability. I don't want to have sweat dripping through my suit jacket! (This isn't as much a question as a concern)

4) I guess the final question would be about the need for support for a Glidecam 2000 Pro with a Canon HV40. My main use for stabilization would not be during the ceremony but rather establishing shots of the venue and during the reception. Would my wrist be tired without either a forearm brace or body pod? (I can't afford a vest)
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Major Player

My two cents..

I don't own one, but I've been considering one too. My thought is that a few new models are going to be released this year after NAB in April, so that might be why they are out of stock. I'm going to wait cause I have a feeling a new model that is easier, better and cheaper will come out mid year. I've also heard that adding the vest for weddings is very time consuming and all the wedding videographers I've talked too only use the stick. You would need a dedicated Glidecam user for your weddings if you had a vest, arm, etc.

My two cents.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Kelly

A good 2 cents too!!! Yes it is very time-consuming and a vest/arm/sled rig is not practical to slip into when you need it. I only use my rig for the photoshoot...put it on before the shoot and then take it off afterwards. I use a highly modified Flycam 6000 with a dual arm and backmount vest and they are heavy!!!! They are also not very practical to use in a tiny Church either but the end result is awesome!!!

Personally if I was looking to doing ceremony shots I think I would try for a smaller and lighter camera like the HMC40 and pop it onto a handheld Merlin rig. During the ceremony you do need a stedicam that you can really grab 'n shoot rather than have to try and attend to you main cam dressed like a spaceman!!! For full stedicam ceremonies you really need a second dedicated operator if you are using a full vest rig!!! I do shoots with two cams on my own so suiting up just isn't an option for me except during the photoshoot!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques