Digital Voice recorder or Wireless Mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #16
Inner Circle

wowo I'm sorry to hear that. I think no matter it's a voice recorder or wireless mic system, when things like that happen, you can't really do much. There're people disagree with me saying I can't monitor live audio using voice recorder. My defense would be, even if you can monitor live audio.. and if something goes wrong live, what can I do?

Check out this video

Old May 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #17
Major Player

Ok, I'm really close to jumping on board with using DVRs for wedding audio. I have 4 irivers with GS mics, but would love to use my 2 H2s as well. What lav mics do you recommend for them? There are so many choices and types that I have no clue where to start.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Check out my blog. I have a link point to the lav mic that I'm using

Wireless Mics vs Voice Recorders | L.A. Color Blog
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #19
Major Player

I have a Tram TR-50 wired for Sennheiser, but it doesn't work in my Zoom H2. Seems like it plugs in all the way. Maybe I'm just a dunce, but I don't see why it wouldn't work perfectly.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #20
Major Player

Ok, I see why it's not working. Even with mic power turned on in the zoom h2, it just doesn't provide enough power for the tram tr-50 (that's what some audio guys at Sam Ash told me). So, I just bought a Sony PCM-M10 to try out, figuring I'll use it with my GS mics if the Tram doesn't work. It has a mic sensitivity switch that seems to boost the amount of phantom power provided. On High, it powers the Tram tr-50 perfectly fine, and it sounds incredible. I assumed that the mic sensitivity switch just applied gain to the mic signal, but I've test it both ways with my GS mics, and I don't hear any additional noise with it on High vs Low. Maybe my old ears aren't hearing the difference, and I don't have any fancy gear to test it, but I don't hear a difference at all.

Anyhow, I'm a happy camper now and will test this out on 2 grooms this long weekend.
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #21
New Boot

To those using digital recorders; once the audio is in sync at the beginning, do you ever notice that the sync drifts out of sync as the timeline progresses?
Jay Jelliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jelliff View Post
To those using digital recorders; once the audio is in sync at the beginning, do you ever notice that the sync drifts out of sync as the timeline progresses?
It depends ... my iRiver used to drift quite a bit, Zoom H2 was really bad at keeping sync, my 3 Yamaha PockeTrak CX units have been a champ on my first couple of weddings and one dance recital.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #23
Inner Circle

for me there is no wireless mic vs digital recorder case.
wireless just allows me to put the mic where it is needed (the best place, near the source versus the worst place , on the camera).
And when connected to the camera, it is digital recorded anyway. Bonus is the sync with picture, and you still can monitor what you get.
I use sony uwp-c1 and v1 and never get a drop. and if i would have one, i just pop out the plugs and go to the camera's mic, takes 3 secondes.
On the other side digital recorder can be great too, but for a totally different use.
I use sometime my iRiver (get 3 of them) to capture sound without using the camera (background sound).
The problem with digital recorder is if you let them unattended, you do not know if something is going wrong. I would use anyway a wireless with a digital recorder just to be able to monitor what i am recording.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jelliff View Post
Yes, we deal with drift. Each recorder seems to have a slightly different rate of drift. So mark your recorders and figure out what each of their drift rates are. Then, as you edit future projects, you will know how much to adjust the speed of the audio for each recorder.
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I have to adjust the speed of the audio clip from the Olympus recorder from 100% to 100.06%. Then it will be a perfect sync.
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #26
Major Player

I have several audio recordings going n at the same time. Never miss a thing. In the UK frequencies are getting crowded. A wedding videgrapher friend of mne has had a "sonic boom" several times this year in church. He uses the Sennheissers. I have the American Lectrosonics and they work of a different bandwidth and I am yet to have any problems.

I also use a Edirol R-09 recorder. Brilliant. Place it on the lecturn for all the readings and use it at the specches at reception. Saves wiring up the best man.

Use both. Safety in numbers. Takys video disaster clip where the groom started fidling could easily have been avoided with a recorder placed close by.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I have to adjust the speed of the audio clip from the Olympus recorder from 100% to 100.06%. Then it will be a perfect sync.
THAT is great information. I use Olympus recorders too. Thank you so much for posting that.
Jay Jelliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Again, the adjustment is going to vary per recorder. For the two Olympus DS30's that we use the adjustments are 100.18% and 100.12%. You're going to have to figure out the drift for your own recorders unfortunately.
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I agree on that. You might have to experiment your own to find out the speed value. It isn't difficult at all.
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Again, the adjustment is going to vary per recorder. For the two Olympus DS30's that we use the adjustments are 100.18% and 100.12%. You're going to have to figure out the drift for your own recorders unfortunately.
Hey Travis, and anyone else. I have a couple of Irivers, I would imagine that the main difference between my irivers and the olympus is what you talked about, the adjustment you can do. So, is there any Olympus out there that you don't have to adjust? Something like this that records in WMA? WS-600S

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques