Digital Voice recorder or Wireless Mic - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
It depends on which NLE you use to tweek the speed of the clip. For Premiere, right click on the clip in timeline and select Audio speed or something.

I line up the clip at the beginning. while synch, then checked the end to see how far it went. Then keep adjusting the speed. That's how I found out my Olympus voice recorder record in WMA will need the speed set to 100.06

My H2 recorded in mp3 which synch perfectly without the need to adjust speed.
Thanks Taky, I too use Premiere.

Did Premiere show the number 100.06 as you adjusted the speed, or was that a calculation you arrived at via doing a math equation ??? I am assuming that is 100.06%, correct ???
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
are you recording in WAVE format?
This may be a stupid question, but is there a "preferred" format to use ???

Typically I would go with WAV over mp3 to maximize quality over file size, if I had that option.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
Thanks Taky, I too use Premiere.

Did Premiere show the number 100.06 as you adjusted the speed, or was that a calculation you arrived at via doing a math equation ??? I am assuming that is 100.06%, correct ???
I calculated this number myself as I try different number so the clip is synch perfectly. Funny after I typed 100.06, premiere will not show the value (or it just round up.. not sure).

also, this is from my particular model of my recorder. You should try out your own to find out if the drift occured.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
This may be a stupid question, but is there a "preferred" format to use ???

Typically I would go with WAV over mp3 to maximize quality over file size, if I had that option.
I read from my H2 zoom recorder, sometimes recording in WAVE file the memory card has problem catching up the high data rate.. thus drop out occurred. I recorded in mp3 in 256kbps. sounds good to me,
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Digital Recorders

Drop out and interference has caused me too many problems so I use 2 olympus WS-311M recorders and a ZoomH2 for more ambient stuff - you'll need to re-time a litle in post but they have never let me down

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
I read from my H2 zoom recorder, sometimes recording in WAVE file the memory card has problem catching up the high data rate.. thus drop out occurred. I recorded in mp3 in 256kbps. sounds good to me,
I would have assumed a recorder that offers WAV would be able to crank it through, but maybe the card comes into play as well ??? Taky..... you bring up a good point and something I will research well. Thanks.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Just opened the H2 manual and here's a direct quote

"Depending on the combination of operation mode and recording mode, data transfer to the SD card during recording may momentarily not be able to keep up with the data stream, leading to a brief sound dropout (skipping). When this occurs, the indication "Data write Error" is shown on the display during recording and after recording is finished. The likelihood for dropouts increases when the processing load on the H2 is heavy. If dropout errors occur, change the recording mode and redo the recording.'

and then a chart showing what's heavy processing load to light processing load... it goes like this

WAV96kHz/24bit
WAV96kHz/16bit
WAV48kHz/24bit
WAV44.1kHz/24bit
WAV48kHz/16bit
WAV44.1kHz/16bit
MP3

So recording in WAVE will cause higher chance of dropouts.
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM   #53
New Boot

You should be recording at 16 bit 48k stereo WAV. No need to use higher SR or bit depth.
If you still get dropouts you need to replace your card.
Spend the money on a class 6 or better and you'll have no more trouble.
You might try reformatting the card first - fragmentation can cause speed problems too.

best

c
Chris Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM   #54
Major Player

Chris, I can see me picking a SR of 6 bazillion and 8 if it was offered, that would be so like me !!!! :-)

I assume you say we should stick to no more than 16bit 48K because that is what video is primarily shot at ???

I can see what Taky posted about file volume and the recorder having a difficult time with the higher rate and flow of that much information to the card. It just surprises me a manufacturer would offer settings that it knows its product can't keep up with. Very unusual IMO.
Old August 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #55
Major Player

From everything here I went with the Yamaha CXs, a pair so far, and Giant Squid Omni lav mics for them. The lavs, went with one black and one with white cable and clips, for the bride. Now I need windscreens for them, as they don't come with them. For the bride's mic, I need to find either white or fleshtone, or both of those, and typical black for the other.

Any suggestions on where to find some, and your experiences in what I should look for or make sure I don't get ????
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #56
Major Player

Re

Excuse my ignorance so if I was using a h4 or h2 for speeches at a ceremony along with my g2 where do I put it for best audio? In the speakers pocket ?

Luke
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
From everything here I went with the Yamaha CXs, a pair so far, and Giant Squid Omni lav mics for them. The lavs, went with one black and one with white cable and clips, for the bride. Now I need windscreens for them, as they don't come with them. For the bride's mic, I need to find either white or fleshtone, or both of those, and typical black for the other.

Any suggestions on where to find some, and your experiences in what I should look for or make sure I don't get ????
You certainly seem to have a different market for DVD in your area. Here I often have difficulty in convincing a groom of the benefit of wearing a mic, I don't think I'd ever be able to persuade a bride to.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Oliver View Post
Excuse my ignorance so if I was using a h4 or h2 for speeches at a ceremony along with my g2 where do I put it for best audio? In the speakers pocket ?

Luke
I did it by placing a voice recorder on top of DJ speaker and let a wired lav mic hanging in front of the speakers. Check out my blog. I have a video to show the difference

Recording Good Sound at Event | L.A. Color Blog

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques