DP Slider or Glidetrack - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #31
Regular Crew

?

what size DP slider to you find most useful for event work?

thank in advance,

dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #32
Major Player

I have both the V720 and V1200. The V720 is about 30 inches long. I can get great shots on a relatively small tripod and it is very easy to move around getting reception decor shots, or even ceremony shots. 30 inches of tracking is usually plenty, as long as you know how to use foreground to your advantage. Another nice thing about the V720 is that I can pack it in a large suitcase when traveling on a airplane.

With the V1200 I need a much larger tripod, and even then, at times it's a little much. I also use the V1200 on a couple of light stands. I can move it around by myself, but it is not as mobile, especially for events.

If you don't think you will ever have to put your DP Slider in a suitcase, you could go with the V960. It's about 38 inches. Just because you have 38 inches of tracking distance does not mean you have to use it. If I never traveled, I may have considered the V960, but in the end, I think either the V720 or V960 will serve you well.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #33
Tourist

If I would've read this post earlier, I would've gotten a DP slider instead. I just got my glidetrack today, after running into some inconvenience. I think the company is run by one person and he wasn't very customer-oriented at all. While I received my fedex tracking notification, there are no indication that the product was even shipped for 4 days. So I had to write and ask what's going on. He then replied and said he was waiting on a supplier and will ship the next day. I thought he should've at least email me to notify me of the delay or compensate me for the shipping cost. He then indicated that I shouldn't be upset and that he has 30 days to ship the product. 30 days??? Where on the website indicates such standards? I paid fedex international priority, I wasn't expecting my product in 30 days! He may have created a good product, but he really needs to work on his customer service skills.
Karen Tsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #34
Major Player

I've also used the V720 and feels its the best length for weddings and events.

BTW, thank you Mark and Trisha :). Trisha gave me some quick advice over the phone of the dp slider before I bought it, super helpful.

-Randy
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #35
Major Player

LOL - Karen, have you actually read back what you've written...

nearly all companies of that nature say 30 days, and nearly all companies of that nature say that to accomodate any delays/issues with suppliers, and product manufacturing etc.
so he sent it off in 4 days. that's great! and u wanted shipping compensation?!!!!!!!!!!
wonder what sort of ebay feedback you leave people ;)

haha. that made my day! brilliant!

p.s. to the moderators - if i've stepped out of line here, please delete my post.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #36
Tourist

Richard, I was trying to leave a true feedback on my experience. The product works fine, I just wasn't satisfied on the customer service I got. The website indicated 2-3 days delivery and testimonials saying they receive their product in 1 day overseas. I hope my case was a one-time deal but businesses (big and small) need to notify customers of any delay especially after sending out a shipping notification on a product that wasn't shipped. $30 fedex international priority is not cheap. My expectations was built up by what I read on the website. When I paid international priority, I do expect my product in 2 days and not 1 week. Why should a customer absorb shipping costs when the company caused the delay? The delay of delivery could also cause lost of income for a customer too.

Everyone has different experiences, it's not fair to dismiss someone's negative experience because you like the product or had no problems with them or are friends with the company. Businesses need to keep improving themselves, to serve their customers better, not just focus on making money for themselves (especially during this recession). Alastair (the owner) may be good in developing a product like glidetrack, but he may need to hire some management to handle the logistics. You just don't advertise fast delivery if you can't deliver to EVERY customer that fast.
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #37
Major Player

Karen, with the greatest respect even with the delays 4 days for an international delivery is amazing. I mean simply amazing. When I order anything online to get it next day is pushing it and if there is ever a delay I like it when the company tells me, this week ive ordered a lens from a dozern different suppliers, each time saying it was in stock and then telling me (or not in most cases) that it wasnt in stock.

Im not sure where the bad customer service comes into this. In order to get the deliverys out a courier is arranged based on a regular supply of parts but in life, things go wrong. Hey, I think somone put it best "Stuff happens". Alastair was up front, told you of the delay, didn't blame it on a courier problem. To expect compenstation is a bit OTT IMHO.

4 days is a way off being a week. Slightly over half a week to be honest.
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #38
Inner Circle

When you are dealing with a smaller manufacturer on a "custom" item, sometimes there are delays - parts may not be in stock, suppliers may not be shipping, and so on. Toss in the uncertainties of international shipping (and you're saying it was $30 for a large realtively heavy item - that's a bargain I'd say), and you can't expect things to arrive "overnight". Was there a weekend involved in those 4 days?

I will say that saying "30 days" was probably bad form, but it wasn't 30, it was 5... perhaps 30 days is standard overseas?

Until such time as we have a "product printer" that magically creates things before our very eyes right after we hit "buy it now", it's not unreasonable to expect a few days between placing an order and that order being shipped.

I know places like Amazon, Zappos, and all that have put big huge marketing $$ into building expectations of "instant gratification", but you can't BUY a "slider" from them, for good reason, - it's a niche market, limited custom production type item. A little "slack" under the circumstances would be appropriate.

If you like the product and it's working for you (and will long after you "forget" it took an extra couple days to get to you), be glad that such a unique product is available at all... Small niche manufacturers don't have it easy, and the fact they survive at all in the current economic environment is nearly a miracle in and of itself.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #39
Tourist

It is nice to see some loyal fans out there for glidetrack. But you might not have read my post clearly. I could understand and accept delays. But I wasn't notified of one and had to initiate an email 4 days after I received my shipping notice. It is misleading and almost dishonest to have receive a shipping notice on a product that is not shipped. It's great that you're supporting the company, but support it in the right way. If their customer service remains the same, future consumers and the company itself will suffer in the long run. A product does not remain unique forever. I didn't write this post to downplay anyone. My intention was to request for positive changes.
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #40
Major Player

Would it not have been best to request these positive changes directly with GT rather than in a public forum?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques