Outputing to DVD and BD - Frame Rates for Aquisition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 31st, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Outputing to DVD and BD - Frame Rates for Aquisition

Hello,

I'm using a Sony Ex1 and a Eos 7D. I need to deliver both DVD PAL and BluRay. So far I'm using 1080P @ 25 FPS on both cameras. This way I can maintain the same frame rate throughout the process.

I then export 50i to DVD PAL (letterboxed) and 1080i @ 50 FPS to BD,

But I would like to record @ 24P(23,98) so that I am not forced to use interlaced video in BD.

So the question is, do you guys have experience in conforming 23,98 to 50i for DVDPAL? How does one go about doing it in Premiere or AE or is there a dedicated software?

Thank you!
Jose Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Jose, I do not have any experience with this conversion but it sounds like it could be a problem. 24 frames into 50 fields does not match up very well.

Your best option for flexiblility would be to shoot in 720p50. This would allow you to make 24p from the 50p footage for Blu-ray and allow you to easily convert 50p to 50i for the DVDs.

The 24p from a higher framerate looks all of 90% of real 24p to my eyes. This depends upon your software. I use Edius and it does a nice job with this. You also gain some options if you want to have a portion of the video to be at a higher framerate.

Too bad we do not have a 1080p50/60 option but 720p still looks great.

Hope this helps.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:34 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you for your input Tim. I need to do some testing of those ideas and figure the way I want to compromise. But still there has to be a way. After all movies are converted to PAL everyday.
Jose Martins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques