Steadicam/Glidecam during Ceremony at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Steadicam/Glidecam during Ceremony

Just wondering - for those of you who have Steadicam/Glidecams, are you using these during the actual ceremony much? I'm concerned about using one in a ceremony situation, basically because the rig really could be distracting/disruptive. I think there's a fine line between using big rigs to get the great shots and being a disruptive/distracting presence during the ceremony.

For those who own these rigs, what are your thoughts?
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Major Player

I use my Glidecam Smooth Shooter while the bride walks down the aisle and for random shots before that - once my second camera operator has a good stable shot I take off the Glidecam and go tripod.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:42 AM   #3
Trustee

How do you pull focus with the glidecam while tracking the Bride etc.....
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm pretty much doing something similar with nicholas but sometimes try to let the steadicam go and try other things as well. although its hard to beat steadicam shot while the bride is entering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
you cant focus pull while on steadicam except using wireless focus pulling device which most of us don't use.

Just set your focus point to a certain distance and try to stick to that. having longer depth of field also helps a lot. i'm usually on f4-5.6 on my 5d if I want to be safe. I'd go as far f2.8 but that's it

Btw, which studio are you from Simon? Are you coming to exposed down under in Sydney this July?

Santo
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
What!?! Who in the f^&@ pulls focus on a wedding? This is news to my ears and that's probably the way you guys do it in Australia but around here it ain't happening...
Ivan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I gave up with using a full vest Steadicam in a Church! The aisles are just too narrow and it's pretty hard to try and control your second cam still suited up.
I guess something like a 5D on a Blackbird would be more practical but trying to keep focus to me would be pretty hard unless you have a fairly big DOF ...seems to defeat the purpose using a DSLR !!

I commend anyone who can use a full Steadicam with a DSLR and keep focus as well!!!

I have simply modded by monopod with a swivel handle and the cam balanced with extra stabilized legs and weights...when I'm done with the bridal entry the legs just fold up and it becomes a monopod again!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan George View Post
What!?! Who in the f^&@ pulls focus on a wedding? This is news to my ears and that's probably the way you guys do it in Australia but around here it ain't happening...
I think he was referring to adjusting the focus himself, rather than having a dedicated focus puller.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Trustee

What I was asking, how do you keep the talent in focus as you move about the talent. As Santo replied
"i'm usually on f4-5.6 on my 5d if I want to be safe".

This is what I thought you guys are doing.

How does the 4000 work with the Sony EX1? and also do I need a special base plate to connect to my EX1 and Miller head?

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It also depends on which lens you use. For example, if you use a 14mm on a 7D and close down the iris you'll have a lot of latitude in terms of what will be in focus.
Robert McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
What I was asking, how do you keep the talent in focus as you move about the talent. As Santo replied
"i'm usually on f4-5.6 on my 5d if I want to be safe".

This is what I thought you guys are doing.

How does the 4000 work with the Sony EX1? and also do I need a special base plate to connect to my EX1 and Miller head?

Thanks
EX1 works but your arm will break =) U could get a quick release adapter. I use a common one between a stabiliser > monopod > crane > slider dolly > tripod
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Considering the strict rules in most churches we don't Steadicam during a ceremony generally. Also, we don't want to be distracting from the ceremony. That said, we sometimes will follow the B&G down the aisle after the ceremony with the Steadicam.

For focus you just need to be familiar with your lens and set the focus manually and then keep your distance to the subject correct. Not always easy, but doable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques